Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
Would anyone countenance using a MacBook/external display as a desktop replacement? A 2.16Ghz/2GB/120GB HD MacBook is a decent machine, isn't it? I'm not a big gamer and don't need a real demon graphics-wise ...

I have that exact machine and i have to say its very capable and lightening fast :D. As long as you don't game and don't do any GPU intensive work it'll be great. However, the macbook can only support up to 23/24 inch screen while the mbp can do 30 inch. What do you want to use your computer for?

BioChron

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Alaska
8. And while the battery performance/charging is improved, I don't like leaving a notebook plugged in 24/7 but who wants to unplug it and vice versa to keep cycling the battery.

What you can do is simply take out the battery and run the laptop off the AC Adapter. That is what I do so I don't mess up the battery, hehe.

Personally, I am the kind of guy that loves portability, but if you don't need to take your Mac out on the road, definitely pick up a new iMac.

- Daniel

KimTwemlow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
You know what? I've just realised what's going on in the back of my tiny mind. I need a desktop; I want a laptop - for no better reason than I think they look cool. I'm gonna get a new iMac and see how my finances are after that. If they can take the hit, I'll treat myself to a MacBook, which is all I'd need, portability-wise. Thanks to everyone for your input. This has really helped me get my thoughts straightened out.

KimTwemlow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I was told it goes to sleep when shut ... could have been misinformed. Anyone else?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
What you can do is simply take out the battery and run the laptop off the AC Adapter. That is what I do so I don't mess up the battery, hehe.

That's not necessary with MacBooks. The MagSafe charger detects when the battery is charged and stops trying to charge it.

You know what? I've just realised what's going on in the back of my tiny mind. I need a desktop; I want a laptop - for no better reason than I think they look cool. I'm gonna get a new iMac and see how my finances are after that. If they can take the hit, I'll treat myself to a MacBook, which is all I'd need, portability-wise. Thanks to everyone for your input. This has really helped me get my thoughts straightened out.

That's what I did...an iMac+external display and a MacBook for pretty much the same price as a MBP+external display. It's nice to have an always-on desktop machine. Although my wife now has the MacBook and I have a PowerBook (soon to be MBP) from work.

I was told it goes to sleep when shut ... could have been misinformed. Anyone else?

It doesn't go to sleep if you have an external keyboard and display hooked up.

raccoontail

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Two computers are better than one

My advice is to get an iMac and pick up a refurbished macbook if you need portability. For two reasons:

1) Convenience. Plugging and unplugging cords is a major hassle. I love knowing my iMac is waiting on my desk at all times with the cables for all my devices already plugged in (camera, video camera, printer, external drive, ipod, iphone)

2) Redundancy. If one system dies, you have an extra to use while it's being repaired. Plus it's amazing how often both computers get used at once when friends/children/relatives are around.

Cost is probably about the same when you consider that you would probably not only want a Cinema Display, but also a second power adapter and wireless keyboard and mouse. Most software publishers (even Adobe) allow you to install on both a laptop and desktop so long as there is only one primary user for both machines.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

Personally, I am the kind of guy that loves portability, but if you don't need to take your Mac out on the road, definitely pick up a new iMac.

- Daniel

Actually Apple states on their support site that when you take the battery out and run off the power cord, it powers down to 1 core running at 1GHz or something to that effect.

They changed the verbiage from the last time I read it, but here it is

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305336

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.