MBP & Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamDonut, Jun 10, 2011.

1. JamDonut macrumors member

Hi All,

So I want to get myself a cinema display to use with my 09' 13" alu-unibody so i still have my laptop for travelling but the screen estate when i get home, but also i only have one mac to keep upgrading lol ;) but have a few things i'm 'worried' about, i know it uses my laptop but does it 'replicate' my screen so nothing is stretched or pixelated?

I nipped into my local apple store and asked a few questions and the guy (who wasn't a genius) said 'it just works' lol which was a great help. I don't play hardcore games as you can guess but play WoW and does anyone know if the graphics will, well, pixelate or stretch? or will they play on medium as if, say, playing on medium on an iMac, i'm not looking to have them improved, just not get any worse?

the same things is just a worry in general will my pictures in iPhoto and videos etc play 'natively' on the 27" because they are actually stored on a 13" or am i not getting that the ACD is the monitor and it only uses my laptop ODD and processor etc?

many thanks guys, you are the best :D

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

What? No no no.

The graphics processor in your computer is whats doing all the work. Think of your internal display as a regular old LCD that can be turned off, moved around etc. A real external display like the 27" ACD is no different. The graphics processor will pick it up and treat it like it's its own display (because it is). The fact that its a 13" machine will have no bearing. You CAN mirror the display so that the displays match up, but this isn't the default behavior.

I just bought the 27" Cinema display to run with my 17" MBP and I couldn't be happier (actually all the real estate contributes more to my OCD). Later i'll hook up my 13" and take a snapshot to see if that makes more sense.

But on the WoW front I really doubt the 13" 2009 can push it at native res on the 27" with eye candy. But I dont play WoW.

3. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

WARNING: if you spend 850+ for a better view of WoW you may need professional help :confused:

4. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Plannin on getting a 27" with my 17 also. Is it worth it?

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

yes.

6. JamDonut thread starter macrumors member

LOL that was just an example of my concern i'm not that much of a gamer :D

and many thans to everyone for clearing up my worries :)