MBP classic HDD: 5400 or 7200?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HunterGather, Dec 4, 2008.

1. HunterGather macrumors member

Hello all!

So i've finally decided on a refurb MBP 'classic'.
    15 inch, 2.6ghz, glossy.

BUT, i wanted to know if i should get one with the 5400rpm or 7200rpm hard drive.
    The size of both isn't the issue.
    I just wanna know if I really will be missing out on much.
    I could use the extra money for my external firewire scratch disk for media (as there's a $300 price difference).

With that said, would the hard drive speed make a big difference when simply running day to day and pro software?

Also, what about using audio software (ie Ableton Live) and having it running several tracks, plugins, virtual instruments, etc... all at once?
    (if i'm on the go, i'd prolly just use the internal HD rather than the external, but that would be rare).

Sorry if its a dumb question. I guess I may be confusing hard drive speed with processor and RAM for running programs (?)

Thanks!

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

YMMV, but you may tell a difference when booting up, cold launching applications, transferring large amounts of info to and from the disk.
    If you're a pro user, (i.e., you're using your machine to make money, and every extra second means lost money) and using the machine to all of its capacity, then the upgrade would make sense.

If it doesn't, then wait. Wait for HDD prices to fall, or at least for them to add value to them. For the same price of today's 320 gig 7200 rpm, you'll be able to buy a 500 gig 7200 rpm within 6-12 months from now.

Also, go to Tom's hardware guides online to see some fairly comprehensive benchmarking of various 5400, 7200 and SSD drives.

3. andothfc macrumors regular

This idea of holding off 6 months or a year doesn't make sense unless you're talking about brand new technology.

When the 500gb has dropped to the current price of the 320gb, we'll be just a few months away from 1TB dropping the same price. With this mindset you'd never buy anything.

4. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

i say buy the cheapest mbp you can, then buy the internal drive & ram somewhere else. there shouldn't be a $300 difference when you can get a 500 for $120 and that isn't a deal...i've seen it for $100.

a 320 7200, $80 after rebate

so...just get the cheapest thing you can...crack er open, and upgrade!