MBP "Clean up" to make faster again?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applesith, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I have a 2.4GHz MBP from summer 2007 (SR update). My MBP runs pretty well and hasn't become Windows-Slow. But is there anything I can do to have it boot faster to when I first got it (or overall run faster)? I do not want to reformat the hard drive to start over and lose my settings. Let me know. Thanks!

2. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

You can google for Onyx. It is a maintenance software for mac os x leopard. You can clean your logs, caches, browser history and stuff. I use this to maintain my mac go faster.

3. golfhero macrumors member

Onyx is a good option. A bit more hassle but you can also do a Time Machine backup, reinstall your OS and then restore. This gets rid of lots of junk, will re-index files and won't bring over Xcode so need a bit of patience...

4. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Repair your disk permissions as they constantly get fudged. Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Click on the partition and click repair, if nothing needs repairing, nothing will be done.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i use onyx to keep it up to speed. but every 6 months or so i back up everything and do a complete re-install.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I will never understand this sort of self-abuse. I have never had to do this, on many Macs over many, many years.

7. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

to each his own...

8. chris.robison macrumors regular

There is no point to this...

9. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

I wouldn't go as far as calling it self-abuse, some people just want to make extra sure their system is running clean of any useless crap. A new start is never a bad thing.

I think the point is to tidy the system up a tad. :p;)

10. Momofthree macrumors member

How does one do this from a Time Machine backup? I have been using TM since I got my computer at the beginning of the month (not that I am saying I need to do this right now) was just curious as to HOW to do it? :D and what is Xcode?

11. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

When installing OS X, there is an option to grab files from a Time Machine backup. Just make sure the disk is plugged in and you select the correct option (you will know it when you see it). Xcode is software developed by Apple to aid you in writing programs for OS X. It is available to everyone (located on one of the restore disks).

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, I wouldn't say that exactly. Bad advice is bad advice.

Anything you do which is time-consuming and useless sounds like a form of masochism to me. When you suggest other do it, that's more like sadism.

13. belvdr macrumors 603

Spot on.

You mean like pushing your car to work to save gas? ;)

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Pushing your car to work is masochism. Advising others to push their cars to work is sadism.

15. belvdr macrumors 603

or sheer stupidity.

16. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Okay, getting away from this useless conversation above, ONYX does work and I highly recommend it. It's pretty safe to use as well, just be sure you have backups, as with any software like this.

Reinstalling an OS is probably not worth it, but depending on your computing habits, it can help. Fact is fact. It probably won't help much at all for regular users.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not sure what you mean by "regular" users. Are there "irregular" users too? If so, who are these irregular users and how will they benefit from a reinstall of OSX?

18. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

so im a masochist because every 6 months i do a complete reinstall. did it ever occur to you that maybe i like doing it. its not torture for me. its not causing me some emotional pain. i am slightly OCD i will give you that but i dont know why you would come in here and call me a masochist because i re-install my operating system every once and a while. so just mind your own friggin business.

19. jeremybuff macrumors regular

You're just nitpicking.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh my. You've recommended this course of action to others. The problem is you can't even begin to tell us why it's useful, let alone, necessary. So that makes it my friggin business.

Not at all. The advice doesn't make any sense unless this distinction can be made.

21. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

Thanks for the tips everyone!

IJ Reilly, do you have any suggestions, or just criticism towards every poster in this thread?

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I advised that you not do it, as did others. I agreed with them and criticized only those who gave out bad advice, that they couldn't defend even when I gave them the opportunity. This nearly always results in an argument around here. Not much I can do about that.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

But some people work with (or download) lots of large files which are beyond the size for which OSX auto-defrags. For those people certain things help.

24. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Better yet, why don't YOU tell us why its NOT necessary. Share with us the wonders of OS X.

I think six months is a little overkill, but I simply cant believe that the OS, after a year or maybe two years worth of use, wont benefit from a clean install.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I have heard this theory, but have never seen any actual evidence to support it.

The "wonder" of OSX is that it rarely auto-hoses like Windows. I'm not going to try to prove a negative, and since I don't have the slightest idea what "benefit" you believe accrues from reinstalling, and apparently neither do you, it's impossible for me to answer your question in a way which is likely to satisfy your curiosity. I can only tell you that with many Macs and many years of experience, I have never, even once, found it to be necessary. I can also say that by far the majority of people who recommend reinstalling without having an explicit cause do it because it makes them "feel better." Ask them why else, and they have no real justification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.