mbp clicking noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MazzaBL, Feb 7, 2010.

1. MazzaBL macrumors newbie

hello, i just purchased a 15" 2.66 mbp. i noticed that if i rest my palm on the right lower side of the computer with the lid open, the computer makes a clicking sound, this only happens when i rest my palm on that region of the laptop, it doesnt produce the sound on its own. is this a problem? sounds like the hard drive. its not a continuous clicking, i place my palm down, and it clicks once, it doesnt happen every time, but about 3-4/10 times. anyone else experience this?

2. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I have the exact same MBP and I have had the same experience... But it feels like it's the chassis of the computer making the noise not somthing internal. I think it may be to do with the way the bottem of the laptop is secured to the main chassis...

Is this what you are talking about? Almost more of a creaking sound rather than a clicking?

3. MazzaBL thread starter macrumors newbie

no, this is a definite clicking sound that appears to be the internals, its more of a hollow clicking sound if that makes sense.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Just in case that it is a dying HD (I'm not saying that it is), I'd make sure that you back that puppy up.

5. MazzaBL thread starter macrumors newbie

i just got this thing 3 days ago, brand new, it would be a shame if i got a lemon. the clicking def sounds like a hd click but its only produced if i lay my hand in that one area, very odd. i will backup my hd just in case. thanks.

6. hazedragon45 macrumors regular

i get the click only when i shake or pick up my MBP... i think it locks the hard drive in place to prevent damage

7. MazzaBL thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok, mine actually does it as well when I pick it up sometimes. Thanks for clearing that up