MBP completely dead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew83Ga, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

hey everyone,

not good with technical terms but I get by with macrumors so bare with me haha...
    bad news with my MBP 13¨, it is refusing to start. It was working fine as always one night, and the next morning dead as can be. No water or liquid damage or anything out of the ordinary. It is the most random thing...

The indicator light on the magsafe is a very dull green. I made the terrible mistake of buy a new (and hideously expensive) charger and that wasn`t the issue. And apparently here in Spain, when you open the box, it´s yours forever, at least at the madrid apple store. Anyway, when i realized it was the Mac itself, I did the SMC thing and nothing happened. i took it in to the same store. The tech mentioned (in what i could understand) that its not charging and could be the charging device or the battery itself. If it were the battery, I would think that it would run just fine with the magsafe connected.

So its in good hands, but I was wondering if anyway can give me an idea of what to expect? What it could cost and how serious it is. Obviously its just a guess without looking inside yourself, but maybe someone here has come across the same thing...

thanks in advance! tell me something good please! lol

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Nobody can do anything but guess on here, really.

Possibly the Logic Board died. If nothing else is working that's usually a good guess.

Is it still under warranty? If so, it shouldn't cost you anything to get fixed. If not, it could be quite expensive. Maybe around €600-700 - but that might depend the age of the MacBook Pro.

3. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply

yeah i realize that its just guessing but its an educated guess, which is all can ask for until they call me with the news. Im a student and not in the best situation to buy a new macbook, and as I am now too spoiled to buy anything else from this point, I may just have to go computerless a while if it turns out to be in the hundreds of euros.

Crossing my fingers that its some small (but crucially important, like something to do with startup) component is dead and its easy to fix. I know nothing about this stuff.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Sounds like that's what the OP already did. Try to keep up, will you?

6. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Here is an update on this ongoing saga...

They responded that the battery and everything was fine, but I needed a new trackpad. I didn't see the connection with it not starting up, but I figured they know more than me and maybe it was unrelated and only something they discovered while they opened up the mbp.

I took it home and it worked normaly (luckily in this time I backed up everything for the first time ever with a new external HD I got for my birthday) for a day, but the following morning, dead. The interesting thing is that this time, the light on the charger was vibrant as normal as opposed to dull like last time. Again, this is a brand new charger, bought as a 'solution' after this happened the first time (stupid to buy one without trying another charger first). Also, the side battery indicator lights were all on and wouldn't shut off. Still, nothing when I tried to turn it on through.

So i took it back, the guy was visiably dumbfounded when he couldn't start it. He got back to me a few days later saying that, again, it started for him after changing the trackpad again(the new one was chipped) and everything looked fine.

The very next morning...dead. I got it back just the night before, after checking in the store that it would start, I shut it and didn't look at it til the next morning. The slowly blinking light up front was working showing it in sleep mode for at least a few hours. I remember it still on shortly before I fell asleep. I didn't connect it to the charger at all and sometime over night, it died.

What can this be and why can't they figure it out?? He says it seems very strange. And this is the authorized Mac store and repair place in Madrid. It's not a "Mac" store with a big apple, but I think it's the closest thing to that here. The sell only apple stuff.

Thanks, I know is is long but that's everything. Hope to hear something positive or at least something!

Thanks again.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It's under warranty, right?

Give Apple Support a phone call.

8. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Ok, that's bad then. I would still try to contact Apple directly, instead of dealing with an incompetent service center.

10. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

Well thank you everyone for the input. They have it (the same people) as we speak and I told them just to hang on to it for a little while after they think it's fixed, since it always runs great for a day or so before dying. If this time they don't figure it out, I'll turn to apple and who knows?

I'll update this thread when I get something concrete for anyone who has a similar problem or is interested.