MBP connect to iMac to use internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4now, Mar 23, 2008.

1. 4now macrumors regular

Without the use of a wireless router

Is there a way for a MBP to use the internet of an iMac (which is using a cable modem)

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Wireless sharing isn't possible if the iMac is connected wirelessly.

However, you can connect through Ethernet and share it. Look in the Sharing preference pane > Internet sharing.

from there you can share the iMac's internet over the airport, where your MBP can connect to.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Seems like the iMac is connected via ethernet, so yes, you can share the internet connection over it's wireless connection.

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I must say that the iMac is being turned into one expensive wireless router ;)

I am assuming that your iMac is connected via the ethernet port. You just have to set up Internet Sharing over Airport to be connected with the MBP.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Internet sharing is a really great feature of OS X. it's so easy to set up. Everyone has already mentioned how to do it, but just to re-ephasize. Go into your sytem preferences and go to sharing. Then click internet. Just check the To / From box for sharing. I.E. cable modem goes into your iMac via ethernet - and you want to share it via wifi.

6. 4now thread starter macrumors regular

thank you everyone

for security

is there any way to restrict which computers may share the internet connection