Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Hi all,

My Wife's got a new MBP and it's connected via a KVM to a 24 monitor at her desk.

Everything seems to work fine, but when she powers on, the image at the logon screen is completely blurred on the monitor (but fine on the MacBook).

It's not a major issue, as she can easily hit the M key and just type her password, but it is a little irritating.

Once she does log on, she has the desktop & dock on her monitor looking fine BTW.

[Edit] - Quick snapshot:

4gggo6.jpg

Also, is there a setting that will enable her to close the lid so she can just use the external monitor on the laptop once she's logged on?

Cheers.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can anyone offer any solutions?

I'm wondering if the blurry monitor issue is because of the KVM?

But yes, if you attach and external mouse and KB you can just close the lid and the external monitor will stay on and you can use the Mac normally. No special settings needed.

It is called clamshell mode. You can read all about it at this link.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht3131

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'm wondering if the blurry monitor issue is because of the KVM?

It's possible I guess, but it worked fine with her Windows laptop! :eek:

When she logged on, it had the identical image (select account to logon with) as her laptop did).

But yes, if you attach and external mouse and KB you can just close the lid and the external monitor will stay on and you can use the Mac normally. No special settings needed.

It is called clamshell mode. You can read all about it at this link.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht3131

Thanks.

Like I said, it's not the end of the world, it would just be nice to see the logon screen that's displayed on her MBP, on the monitor.

Surely that's easily achievable isn't it? :confused:

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
It is supposed to be blurred at login screen. So is the main screen in case you hadn't noticed

I think you may have misunderstood.

Take a look at the pic in the 1st post.

The login screen looks perfect on her MBP (that sits right on the corner of her desk), but not on the monitor (that sits right in front of her).

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I'm pretty sure that's the background of your desktop on the external monitor.

Can you post a photo after you have logged in?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'm pretty sure that's the background of your desktop on the external monitor.

Can you post a photo after you have logged in?

As I mentioned, once she's logged on, everything works fine and the image on the monitor is fine.

The dock's there and she can work normally.

The 'blurring' problem is only present at the login screen.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
As I mentioned, once she's logged on, everything works fine and the image on the monitor is fine.

The dock's there and she can work normally.

The 'blurring' problem is only present at the login screen.
How is it a problem? Imagine if there were a sensitive document open on the workspace.

It's normal.

AktBCu5.jpg

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
How is it a problem? Imagine if there were a sensitive document open on the workspace.

It's normal.

Look at the pic in my first post.

When she turns the laptop on and it gets to the login screen (where she clicks her name and then enters her password)-she can't see anything on her monitor as its all blurred.

4gggo6.jpg

The problem is that the external monitor is blurred WHEN SHE LOGS on and so she has to look over at her MBP, which sits over on the corner of her desk (which is a pain).

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I don't think they're mirrored displays on the login screen.

If the Mac was in clamshell mode (lid closed, keyboard and mouse plugged in) then the display on the external screen would be clear.

Astronauta16

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
That happens because your external monitor is not the main monitor. You can change that on display settings. Just move the white bar from your macbook monitor to the external monitor on the arrangement tab.

Sorry for my english

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
That happens because your external monitor is not the main monitor. You can change that on display settings. Just move the white bar from your macbook monitor to the external monitor on the arrangement tab.

Sorry for my english

Thanks, but when she clicks on her name on the MBP and enters her password, everything is as it should be on the main monitor.

This problem only occurs at log on.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks, but when she clicks on her name on the MBP and enters her password, everything is as it should be on the main monitor.

This problem only occurs at log on.

Correct. This is BY DESIGN. If you pay close attention, the only items on the laptop screen that are in focus are the login names to pick from and (once one is selected) the login boxes. As the external display is not the primary display, there is nothing there to be in focus, so all you see is the blurred background, same as on the laptop display just without the login items since those only display on the laptop display.

As someone else suggested, make the external the main display and see what happens, my guess is the "all blurry" display is the laptop display and the one with SOMETHING in focus (even if it's the login screen stuff) will be the external display.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
As someone else suggested, make the external the main display and see what happens, my guess is the "all blurry" display is the laptop display and the one with SOMETHING in focus (even if it's the login screen stuff) will be the external display.

Ok thanks, that did the trick. :)

Now, I can press the power button, close the lid and see the logon screen on the external monitor (without having to squint at and then be distracted by the MBP's screen!).

Thank you everyone.

----------

Why is this even being discussed?

Because this is a discussion forum.

Is the blurriness causing some problems?

It was, because the way it was behaving wasn't right.

Now I've posted and gotten help, it is.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.