Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

couldbeme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
As a new Mac user I've been perplexed by the difficulty I've had setting up my MBP Internet connection. I'm using a cable modem and wifi router - neither of which have ever given me problems with my Dell XP (which still connects ok).

I've never succeeded in getting my MBP to connect automatically but have always either had to select my network (which is the same one each time) or select it and put in my WEP password. (I can't connect at all if I keep my network hidden).

Eventually it seemed to 'settle' to my simply selecting the network each time. Altho it always has it ticked already on the drop down.

Lately tho it's reverted to requiring my WEP password at each connection.

Oddly enough, if I choose 'Network Diagnostics' on Safari I can sometimes, but not always, escape the need to put in the password.

Obviously I'm missing something. Can anyone help?

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
As a new Mac user I've been perplexed by the difficulty I've had setting up my MBP Internet connection. I'm using a cable modem and wifi router - neither of which have ever given me problems with my Dell XP (which still connects ok).

I've never succeeded in getting my MBP to connect automatically but have always either had to select my network (which is the same one each time) or select it and put in my WEP password. (I can't connect at all if I keep my network hidden).

Eventually it seemed to 'settle' to my simply selecting the network each time. Altho it always has it ticked already on the drop down.

Lately tho it's reverted to requiring my WEP password at each connection.

Oddly enough, if I choose 'Network Diagnostics' on Safari I can sometimes, but not always, escape the need to put in the password.

Obviously I'm missing something. Can anyone help?

Once you enter your password for your wireless network, click the wifi icon on the top bar, go to "Open Network Preferences", click on Advanced (bottom right), then make sure to check "Remember networks this computer has joined".

Just a suggestion, and not trying to sound offensive, it sounds like it wouldn't hurt to take a basic computer class (or read a book) that teaches the basics of using a computer (in this case, a Mac).

couldbeme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Thanks but

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time. And I take no offence at your suggestion. But I've already done what you suggest and my Mac does remember the network - it just doesn't connect to it.

I've connected several devices to my wifi network (which I set up personally) over the years and have never had a significant problem. I do not consider myself a novice computer wise although I am completely new to Mac - which seems a very unhelpful and unintuitive environment compared to Windows , especially XP. I've tried the few settings which are available and maybe I will just have to reconcile myself to selecting my network and putting in the password each time.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.