MBP connection to an iMac questions Time machine iCal etc.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeT125, Sep 1, 2009.

1. MikeT125 macrumors regular

We have a 1 year old iMac and have just purchased a MBP and an iTouch. I have several questions about connecting these items. First, my external HD for Time machine is directly connected to my iMac. Is there a way to use that same HD to back up the MBP wirelessly through my wireless router?

Second, is there a way to sync my iCal on my iMac with my MBP withoug having to purchase Mobile me?? These are my first questions, I have more but these are the main ones.

Thanks!!

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

3. MikeT125 thread starter macrumors regular

Not quite. I know I can do two macs on one external HD but I want to know if I can back up the MBP wirelessly. For example. The iMac has the external HD connected to it and it can "talk to the internet via my wirless router in my home. When my new MBP is in the house, can I have it send data to the external HD connected to the iMac through the wireless router?? Kind of like my home made Time capsule?

4. HazRutter macrumors regular

HazRutter

@ Question 2

I have just started using SyncMate as I am pretty much in the same situation. So far it is working great, I am really pleased with it. It syncs contacts as well as your iCal. Also, it is a free download. Link is HERE.

5. MikeT125 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting..... I will look into that.

Anyone on the first question? Maybe the iMac needs to be set up as a server or something like that???

6. MikeT125 thread starter macrumors regular

7. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

Not sure about the first question but I can answer the second. I use BusySync to sync the calendars on my iMac, my MacBook pro and my wife's MacBook. I have it set up to sync to my Google Apps calendar which is also set up to sync to my iPhone. It all works perfectly.