MBP Connects to wrong Wifi every time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by poppe, Feb 24, 2010.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Now first of my MPB's wifi has always been shotty at best, but lately I've had a problem that has been causing a lot of trouble.

A neighbor recently moved in my apartment building and did not lock his Wifi, so instead of my MBP connecting to the high speed internet I pay for like it's been doing for the last 8 months, it now connects to a linksys unprotected router with a 1 mb connection at best (not that I'm trying to use it).

Is there anything I can do so it'll connect to my router first?

2. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Have you deleted your neighbor's network from your Preferred Networks list and made sure your network is at the top of the list? If you do that, and it ever asks you whether you want to join your neighbor's, be sure you say no.

3. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

go:
    system prefs -> internet & network -> network -> advanced..

drag your router name to the top of the list.. it will try to join networks in the order they appear.

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ok sweet. I'm gonna try that. I didn't even know you could move that list up. I deleted the stupid linksys one and moved everything else up.

5. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

That should do the trick. And then do your neighbor a favor and tell them to lock down their WiFi.