MBP: Consider the Bullet Bitten

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MowingDevil, Aug 19, 2008.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Well I did it, I can no longer wait any longer....& probably waited too long. I put my order in today for a base model MBP & upgraded the RAM to 4gb & the drive to the 7200 model. Naturally I added the Apple Care in light of all this GPU talk, although I would have anyways w/ any laptop.

I'd love to sit around & wait for the latest greatest but I'm moving to Auz soon and have music to write....plus I wanted the educational discount & free iPod. That said I found out an interesting tidbit I thought some people here would like to know.

When you purchase a computer from Apple you have ONE week's grace in case a new model/version comes out. Even if the computer has been taken out of the package & used they will replace it for you w/ the new one no questions asked. They said nothing about any restocking fees....perhaps thats if its still in its box and has exceeded the week deadline.

This at least makes me feel good knowing if it does come out soon I'll have the option of upgrading. If it doesn't come out soon at least I have the computer NOW to work on. That is why I'm getting it in the first place, NOT to have the latest up to date gadget but to have a tool that helps me do my work. With electronics its easy to lose focus on this.

2. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Congrats on your purchase. You will not be disappointed. It's a great machine.

I bought a MBP in january and plan to upgrade to the new version if and when they come out in hopefully the next 6 weeks. The resale value is very good, and I have already some interested switchers in my circle of friends.

Have fun with it!

3. schmidt190 macrumors member

i was told by an apple rep that apples policy is 14 days.

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Yeah, that's my understanding of it as well. 14 days to return for a refund. If opened, they charge a 10% restocking fee. If unopened, refund given in full.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations on the MBP; it's a great machine and you'll love it. The "buy now or later when the updates come out" theme is perennial on this forum and others. You have made an excellent choice; powerful, great spec and excellent performance, superb screen and very good re-sale value should you wish to sell and/or upgrade in due course. I'm a recent switcher, and got my MBP in April, and must say I'm very happy with it. Good luck with the machine, with the move and with the music. Cheers.