MBP Cooler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hayleywow, Mar 1, 2014.

1. hayleywow macrumors regular

hayleywow

Hi Guys

Can anyone recommend a good Laptop Cooler for my MBP??

Thanks

Hay

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The internal fans are there for that, no cooler will work with much efficiency due to the closed nature of the MBP's chassis. Save your money, keep things as is.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As above, any hard surface will help over your lap or a cushion for example. Yes a laptop cooler will help reduce temps by a few 'c purely because your cooling the aluminium chassis but it won't be of any benefit really.

4. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

I only ask because when my MBP is connected to my external monitor.. the temp is in the 50/60 degrees C.. / When I use my MBP as a normal laptop the temp is about 30/40 degrees C..

Is this normal?

5. snaky69, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes. Perfectly normal. People on this forum worry way too much about temperatures.

There is a new thread about some user or another worrying about the temperatures his computer reaches at least once or twice a day here. It's quite a recurring theme. If you don't believe me, just cmd-f the first and second page for "heat" or "temp" and you're likely to find at the very least 1 thread per page. 100% of the time, temps mentioned are perfectly within operating range, and nothing to worry about.

The chip inside the MBP is designed to run at up to 105C. If it reaches a temperature deemed unsafe, it will start throttling itself. If that still isn't enough, the computer will shut itself down to prevent damage. Your computer is built to take care of itself all by its lonesome, let it do its thing and use your computer as you see fit.

Remember than anytime you use more computing power, you'll generate more heat, that's just how physics work.

Use your computer, quit worrying about it.

6. esskay macrumors 6502

Is this because it's in clamshell mode with the top closed? You could always place a magnet in just the right spot and leave the top open. I do this with mine.

7. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

Yes My MBP lives in clamshell mode most of the time :)

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I would be more worried about the screen being accidentally closed on the magnet (assuming the magnet has to sit on the palm rest top surface), than I would the <slightly> higher temps running with the screen down...

9. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I've used one of the Antec Notebook Coolers for years with my old 2006 macbook.
    http://store.antec.com/Product/notebookcooler/notebook-cooler/0-761345-75004-2.aspx

It definitely helped reduce temps, about a 10C on average drop, however at the cost of increased noise. So I started only leaving the fan plugged in on rare occasions during intensive cpu tasks like encoding video. Since then it has become pretty much a great stand that matched the color of my mb and still offers some passive cooling due to the height.

It's funny I was debating rather or not to use it with my new retina at the time of this posting :D

10. esskay macrumors 6502

Ah, I see what you're saying. Not a problem for me personally, I only do this in my home office and would never do that... But I see what you mean in a group environment...