MBP cooling device for clamshell mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by streetlightout, Sep 30, 2009.

1. streetlightout macrumors newbie

I looked around the forums about my question, but couldn't quite find the exact answer I was looking for, so here it is:

I have a 13 inch MBP (unibody), which when I'm at home I plug into my monitor/mouse/keyboard/other external devices and put it into "clamshell" mode. However, from time to time, I have overheating issues. I know that with the unibody design, a lot of the venting comes out of the keys (or so I was told/read) and I could occasionally open up my MBP to let it "vent" out, but I'd rather just get a cooling device to throw under it and keep it cool all the time when I'm at my desk.

I normally don't have any hot/overheating issues when I'm using it by itself, I really think its just using it in "clamshell" mode is what is causing it to heat up occasionally.

So if anyone has run into this problem, or knows of a good cooling device for the 13inch MBP to just chill on my desk, please let me know!

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

What "overheating" issues are you having. Most likely your overreacting and just creating another temperature thread.

3. streetlightout thread starter macrumors newbie

Overheating as in 6000+rpms from my fans, noticeably hot to the touch, and the CPU spiking considerably.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If anything my MBP vents even better in clamshell mode, as the bottom of the screen isn't blocking the slit....
    :confused:

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Going to need some istat temps or something, your fans being 6000 and your mac being hot doesnt really go far for anyone helping

6. streetlightout thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

that is just after an hour of being used though, running a little hotter than when i have it out and open, but not temps from when it will overheat, i'll try to grab another shot of it when it happens again and post that.

7. prodigee macrumors 6502a

That is a pretty normal temp... I get that just having a few safari tabs open and with skype and mail open, if that is as hot as it gets you're being paranoid. I mean sometimes I get temps at like 85 just watching flash video, but that is also normal. Don't worry about it.

8. streetlightout thread starter macrumors newbie

like i said, those are normal temps i get after running for a bit, but here are temps for right now, still only using safari, adium, itunes, ical, mail open.

[​IMG]

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

10. ajones46 macrumors 6502

11. vant macrumors 65816

Heat naturally rises out of the keyboard area. Also, you are reducing the surface area available to ambient air.

While idling, there might not be much of a difference. During peak however you will probably notice temp differences.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I recommend this cooling laptop pad enermax Its simply the best, great design, one huge fan to draw cool air under the laptop. Works great.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I tried to secure one of those, but for some reason I couldn't fit it into my office :p

14. babak macrumors member

Part of the problem is that when connected to a larger resolution external monitor, more heat is generated by the video card.
    Also, the unibody Macs are designed in such a fashion that the rear vent only opens when the screen is open, and gets blocked in clamshell mode.

What I find useful is "tricking" the machine into only using an external monitor despite an open lid.

15. streetlightout thread starter macrumors newbie

I was looking at this one, the only drawback, for me, was the somewhat large wrist rest, since i'm really only looking for something to cool it while i work off my externals at my desk. its reviews on newegg are also a little low for me...

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The enermax is really designed to have the MBP on it, without you "using it" Its up high and the large front precludes using the MBP keyboard. Plus the bottom is designed in such a way, that's not really usable on your lap, just on a flat surface.