MBP Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz 15" vs MBP i5, i7 (Future Gen)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FrankySavvy, Mar 16, 2010.

1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Hey Guys, was curious what your thoughts were about how great the differences will be speed wise between a current generation high end MBP VS the future generation MBP. I know its all speculation, just wondering.

What would the speed differences be in:
    Internet Browsing
    File Browsing
    Photo Editing (iPhoto)
    Music Editing (Garage Band)
    Video Editing (iMovie)
    Games (Starcraft 2, T.E.S Oblivion)

The contenders are:
    15" Macbook Pro (Current Gen June 2009)
    Core 2 Duo 2.8GhZ
    4GB Ram
    Nvidia 9400, 9600GT 512mb
    500GB H.D

Versus the potential:

15" Macbook Pro (Future Gen)
    Intel Core i5 or i7
    4GB or 8GB Ram Standard
    Nvidia Dedicated GPU 512MB Dedicated?
    700GB H.D?

I am basically waiting until April 16th for the upgrade and thats when I will have enough money to purchase, the high end current generation MBP. If the speed differences are only slightly better, I don't think I am going to wait until June, because I am in need of a computer. What do you guys think? Will the differences be substantial in my everyday tasks I listed above?, I know this is just theoretical, just wondering.

P.S I plan on upgrading the memory to 8GB within a few months if I got the current gen, would that help much?:)

Thanks.
    Franky

2. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Is this thread really necessary? Read all the benchmarks that are available on the web. They give a great idea on what to expect. On average an i5 at 2.53 ghz vs a core2 at 2.53 ghz it is about 20% faster clock for clock with the i5 not even being optimized for its hyper threading quite yet. It also performs significantly better in certain tasks such as encoding and games at something more like 40-50% dependingly. The real difference will be the graphics card and proper implementation of Open CL. Were looking at a new graphics card that at minimum should be 100% faster but has the potential to be up to 400-500% faster (ati 5830) Harddrive space will probably max out at 750 gb for now and the higher end macbook pro will probably have 8 gigs memory as standard at a slightly faster speed as well.

What the speed differences would be in:
    Internet Browsing about 10%
    File Browsing about 30%
    Photo Editing (iPhoto) about 48% or more
    Music Editing (Garage Band) about 40-50%
    Video Editing (iMovie) about 50%
    Games (Starcraft 2, T.E.S Oblivion) about 20%-30% depending on resolution

This is all information that is easily attainable. Please refer to anandtech.com for true benchmarks and where my numbers come from. Battery life is improved by only about 7% aka negligible.

3. pacers721 macrumors member

how are you going to forward someone to a 20,000 post thread? there is so much fluff on those threads, no one can honestly recommend them as a legitimate source of arrandale information

To the original poster, this is a good place to start:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mobile-core-i5-arrandale,2522.html

and another thing, whats the deal with tiny url's. Who thought it would be a good idea to click on an encrypted link that could take you to god knows where

4. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate it guys, however, do you guys think it will be out by the end of April, because I am in need of a computer and soon....lol

5. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Only Steve Jobs has an idea as to when they will come out as they are already now the longest amount of time between an update. Since by June Intel will no longer be manufacturing the Core series it would be a safe bet Apple needs to do something soon.

6. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I was also at Best Buy, they have none in there warehouse in my area, and just about half a dozen in warehouses across the New York Metro area, the worker told me he had never seen inventories this low, for so long, he belives there should be an update after the iPad is released, that gives it too late April. That is pretty much how long I have to save money and I am willing to wait!.

7. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

8. highscheme macrumors regular

they should be called that