MBP Core Duo 2 HDD Cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bfossil, Jun 23, 2008.

1. bfossil macrumors newbie

Hi There!

I recently bought a new MBP Core Duo 2 (15" 2.4ghz) the other day and proceeded to swap out the hard drive from 200gb to 320gb. Unfortunately when doing this I accidently ripped the cable from the motherboard. Essentially the clip is still in the MB but the cable has come away from the clip. I want to know whether a Core Duo HDD cable would work or do I need to buy the Core Duo 2 version? I know it seems like a stupid question but I already have a core duo cable but dont want to try it incase it mucks something up!
    Everything else in the MBP seems to work it just cant see any HDD when I try the install disks due to the cable being broke.

Any help, much apreciated!

Thanks,

2. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Are you SURE it's broken? I just replaced the hdd in my wife's powerbook and the ribbon connector is very small where it connects to the motherboard. It snaps right off, and I could see how that might make someone think it was broken. But it just snaps right back into place, almost like snapping a button snap on a shirt.

I've not seen the replacement process on a mbp, so I'm not sure if it is similar at all. The actual ribbon broke in two?

3. bfossil thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for your quick replay.

Unfortunately the cable has actually come apart from the clip that clips on to the motherboard. I tried using the tape that was stuck on the HDD but it doesnt seem to hold anything in place, hence the need for a new cable. Just not sure which one is suitable!

4. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Admittedly, I haven't taken apart a mbp, but I'm almost positive there is nothing different between the 2 cables if they're both from mbp's. They both are sata, and no new hdd features have been introduced recently.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

:eek:

Yeah the Core and Core 2 cables should be the same...

6. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

The processor type won't have anything to do with the interface from the HDD to the motherboard; these are all SATA now so any connector that looks like the one that failed will work just fine. Good luck!

EDIT I mean all Macbook and MBP are SATA, not ALL laptops (though I think most are now...)

7. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Except the MBA ;)