MBP Core i5 vs i7 temp readings

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbpfanclub, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mbpfanclub macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I know there's been plenty of discussion about how hot the new MBP's are running or not (I've been through all the threads, and really appreciated Scott666's posts abt his i7 MBP) but I still havent seen any exact head to head temperature comparison between the 15" i5 2.4/2.53ghz and the 15" i7 2.66ghz, with both running the same programs/being stressed equally while the readings are taken.

I know it's a hassle, but it's a huge investment for me and i'd ideally like the i7 as I edit video but can't always have access to a desk to prevent crispy fried legs :eek: I keep hearing sweeping statements like 'the i5 should run cooler' but no real comparison has been done...

Please is there anyone here who owns both and could run a comparison and post some numbers?

Many many thanks in advance! :)

2. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

my i7 runs hot when im doing intensive stuff, it RARELY reaches 100degrees, its only went to 100 twice and thats when i accidently lowered the fan speed.

usually its cool 70ish

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hey i urn the 15" 2.66 ghz i7

all temps are in Fahrenheit

sfari and basic web browsing - 75

Star CRaft 2 with setting set near high for hours of playing - 181

imovie, iphoto, itunes, safari - 80

it runs very cool for basic anything in almost any combo just star craft makes it run like a beast but the processors still under 10% capacity

Final cut pro can run it around 110 and hotter when i am using compressor to change video formats.

4. mbpfanclub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Those are some cool temps Tophat! V encouraged. It's surprising what a difference there is between 2 similar machines... some ppl's i7 mbp's are running so hot for the same tasks you mentioned! So much for apple quality control...:(

i'm going to be using FCP studio too, and want to go for the 15" i7 hi-res antiglare ideally. I wish somebody could post a temperature stress test comparison between i5 and i7. If the i5 does indeed run cooler i'll go for the 2.53 and save a coupla 100 bucks! :cool:

5. joris538 macrumors member

Don't forget there's a difference in graphic card memory as well between the i5 and the i7 version!

6. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Which is pretty useless:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp22.html

7. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I caught an article about a month back which showed the i5 runs a few degrees cooler than the i7, both in idle and running software. This is because the i5 uses a little less power (watts) than the i7. Unfortunately, I didn't save the article, sorry, would love to post it for you to check out, but if memory serves me right, the i5 ran anywhere from a few degrees cooler up to 15 degrees cooler, based on their testing. If you do a lot of video/processor intensive work, this is nothing and the i7 is still the best choice for you, otherwise, the i5 is a great work horse and a little cooler on your lap.

In either case, skip the 2.53Ghz i5, just go for the 2.4Ghz i5 (the 2.53 i5 is only ~3% faster and in some cases, slower than the 2.4). My $0.02. Cheers.