Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

France-

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
I don't know how it happened, but the entire corner of the top of my MacBook Pro screen corner has been bent in so much it presses against the bottom (near the power button) and scratches it.

It's getting harder and harder to open and it's really bugging me. I want to bring it into Apple, and I have a two year warranty on the thing, but what I want to know is, would they do anything about it?

I've had the computer for about a year now, and I swear I take good care of it. I have cases, keyboard protector, everything.

Is there anything I can do?

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Pictures?

I'm pretty sure you can at least take it in and just roll the dice but if it's a serious bend I'm not sure they can really do anything? Other than replace it?

France-

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Here you go:

Attachments

• Qozoi.jpg
    Qozoi.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 182

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
It would involve a top housing replacement.

Not exactly a manufactures defect.

I have seen this type of damage when something has pressed or wedged against the notebook.

France-

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
It would involve a top housing replacement.

Not exactly a manufactures defect.

I have seen this type of damage when something has pressed or wedged against the notebook.

Okay...but would they charge me for it? I have it under warranty, like I said. But I know having a warranty isn't always the magical solution for everything, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm sorry, but that was dropped. It may have happened without your knowledge, but the corner had an unfortunate run in with a hard object.

France-

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
I'm sorry, but that was dropped. It may have happened without your knowledge, but the corner had an unfortunate run in with a hard object.

I know it has never been dropped, because it's with me 24/7.

I have two cases for it. A small, slide in one to keep the outside of it safe, and then I put that into a much larger carry-around case so I know even if I drop it, two cases will be protecting it.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I work at the airport and from the Airs and Pros I've seen this seems quite the norm, at least for frequent flyers. I doubt Apple would repair it free of charge, but doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I know it has never been dropped, because it's with me 24/7.

I have two cases for it. A small, slide in one to keep the outside of it safe, and then I put that into a much larger carry-around case so I know even if I drop it, two cases will be protecting it.

Do you carry your computer in a bag? If so, once upon a time you dropped your bag onto the ground and caused that dent. Whether or not your intended this to happen, if you even know is irrelevent. What matters is that this does not happen by itself and can only be caused by collision with a hard surface.

And my mother complained about this to be about her Mac as well. She swears she's never dropped it, but I've seen the way she puts her bag down with the computer inside. Yeah she uses a sleeve and a padded backpack.

France-

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
So what I'm generally getting is that I'm SOL. :(

Ugh. Well, I'll still try this Wednesday by going to Apple to see if they can do anything.

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny

Ugh. Well, I'll still try this Wednesday by going to Apple to see if they can do anything.

If they can't help you , you can always sell the computer like it's only a year old with apple care you shouldn't have a problem selling it and buying another one

Last edited:

Appleslappy

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010

Unfortunately yes. I can't imagine any scenario where it is fixed under warranty.
That stinks....when you spend the amount of money that we all do on our Apple products, we hope to keep them in pristine condition.:(

There is a bit of a lip with some space away from the screen, perhaps some cautious use of needle nose pliers might allow you a few millimeters of bending the opposite way....wont fix the cosmetic appearance, but might relieve the difficult opening issue.

Good luck at any rate.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

I dented the bottom corner of mine a month after I bought it and they replaced the bottom case free of charge, and I didn't have apple care either. However, a few weeks later my HDD and microphone failed, probably due to me dropping it, and they gave me a whole new computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.