Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waynesun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Hey Guys,

I bought my MBP around a year ago (beginning of April), and after nearly a year of usage, it seems to have grown really strange black markings along the front edge of the laptop. It's way ingrained into the aluminum which means it has to be a sign of corrosion, something I find to be extremely unusual, given the build quality of this beaute (this is my first mac).

I'm not entirely outraged (it's not a shattered screen), but it does get annoying and it is a sign of cosmetic damage that definitely isn't a part of the normal 'wear and tear'.

Would my machine be eligible for a replacement? Mine's the base 2.4/2/250gb model, and I was wondering what they would replace it with.

Thanks!

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I dunno. That depends on how you go about it, they might just replace the metal.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
1 Thing - go and sort it quickly while it is still in warranty. Also, they'll replace the case at most.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Hey Guys,

I bought my MBP around a year ago (beginning of April), and after nearly a year of usage, it seems to have grown really strange black markings along the front edge of the laptop. It's way ingrained into the aluminum which means it has to be a sign of corrosion, something I find to be extremely unusual, given the build quality of this beaute (this is my first mac).

I'm not entirely outraged (it's not a shattered screen), but it does get annoying and it is a sign of cosmetic damage that definitely isn't a part of the normal 'wear and tear'.

Would my machine be eligible for a replacement? Mine's the base 2.4/2/250gb model, and I was wondering what they would replace it with.

Thanks!

Why would they replace you a brand new machine when it could be fixed?
If you are still under AppleCare warranty, which it seems, bring it into the Applestore and see if they can repair it for you...probably by replacing the top case assembly

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Go take it to the apple store and they'll tell you what they'll do. They aren't going to give you a brand new laptop, they'll just replace the casing. Replacements are for extreme situations, usually lemons. Cosmetics aren't warrant the replacement. Just be prepared to be rejected as they might say you caused the issue, not them.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Oh you might be lucky, and walk out with a brand new MBP of the same $$ you bought yours from. Might be that lucky.

With any hope, they'll be concerned about the problem and send it in, and you'll get your MBP back with new casing. Just like new, yay!

If it's not your day, they'll say it's not a real problem and refuse to service it, at which point you'll get to deal with CSR roulette.

Hopefully, you get lucky :) Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.