MBP CPU reaching 69c while idle...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MayaMachine, Aug 10, 2008.

1. MayaMachine macrumors newbie

Hey guys. So just moments ago I was cruizing the web, and my CPU temp jumped to 69 celcius... So I then closed my browser to find that my machine still insisted upon overheating, meaning that it maintained that same temp. I then pulled charging cable out, and it cooled back down to 40c (what it's at currently).

I figure that charging the computer will cause some heat, but didn't ever expect it to reach 69c, while completely idle (while charging).

I have a brand new MBP 2.5 ghz machine, of which recently has been siting with the charger in 24/7. I however do shut down completely at night (with charger still in).

1) do I have an unusual overheating problem?
    2) should I unplug charger whenever it is done charging (even if it doesn't necessarily overheat)?

Thanks guys

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

sometimes spotlight indexes when the computer is idle. This will make the computer hot for a few minutes. This has happened when i left the computer on overnight doing nothing and i woke up to the high pitched noise of spinning fans, checked the processes and found a process related to spotlight working its butt off..i think it was MDS or something similar.

Have you looked at Activity monitor during this time to see what was causing it?

3. MayaMachine thread starter macrumors newbie

No I didn't, but since i was using the computer, wouldn't it wait until it was completely idle to do soomething like that? Do you think it was even related to the power being plugged in?

Thanks the the help man :)

4. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Check your energy settings, on battery power computer performance can be throttled back, it's probable that it is the reason for your notebook running cooler when unplugged.

5. iLLucionist macrumors regular

I got the same problem until I discovered on the forums here that sometimes Safari or Firefox hogs upto 99% of the resources when the machine is idle.

So perhaps when it occurs you could check whether Safari or Firefox do hog all the resources with the Activity Monitor.

That's what appeared to be my problem. Since then, I just quit Safari or Firefox when it occurs.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

No, spotlight indexes whenever it damn well feels like it. It especially enjoys doing it when I working on photos in PS that have close to 100 layers:mad:!

Don

7. MayaMachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright so it did it again, only it went to 80c this time. The fans didn't even key in, so they stuck at around 2000rpm, so I manually adjusted them to 6000rpm temporarily, which helped... I had a few more apps open, but I wasn't really even using any of them (including Maya, which would heat the computer if I was using it). And also to note I wasn't charging my computer at the time. All this was about 20 minutes ago. I have since quit all the apps besides Firefox (of course), and it's currently at 60c (with fans back down to "default" 2000rpm)

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Edit: another thing I just noticed is that the numbers for the cpu usage don't add up properly. Down at the bottom of the image it says that its using something close to 90% of the CPU (user and system combined), while above in the list is shows that not even 25% of the CPU is being used. hmm, what's that all about?

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

At the top of activity monitor, where it says My Processes, change that to All Processes and you will see everything that is running (you might need the admin password to see all processes).

9. Mangaroo macrumors regular

mdworker=spotlight indexing (meta data importer)