MBP CPU usage/temp while creating disk image...not cool!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sehnsucht, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

And by "not cool," I mean literally...the CPU usage jumps up to 93% and the temp goes to nearly 200 ºF (93 ºC) while I'm trying to create a disk image of my external hard drive. :eek:

[​IMG]

This ain't good...as long as creating an image takes, I'm afraid my wooden desk will burst into flames! :( How to cool this mofo down would be my question.

:cool:

2. cababah macrumors 68000

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't know why your fan speed is only at 4579RPM. At those temperatures, it should be higher with or without some sort of fan control. I can't really say but I know creating a disk image uses a lot of the CPU but I don't know if it should take up 90%+. That's using almost both cores?

4. tdream macrumors 65816

The new cooling is terrible. Alright, they don't expect you to max out your computer even for a couple of minutes.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Why do I get the impression that you expect it to always run cool? I'll admit, I was always paranoid about it getting warm but accepted the fact that if you're doing something that taxes the hardware, it's going to get warm. All laptops do it, Dell, Toshiba, Acer, HP. Sometimes I feel that Apple secretly advertised that all Mac's are suppose to run cool at all times no matter what you're doing.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Liquid nitrogen?:rolleyes:

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Ok I started to create a disk image and my CPU usage is only half and doesn't max out both cores. Are you doing anything in the background? Or can someone else verify that creating an image only takes up half and not all of the CPU?

8. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

I use smcFanControl to set it to that speed. Should I crank it up even more?

iTunes and Firefox were the only two processes other than Disk Utility, and the external hard drive being imaged is a 5,400 RPM FireWire 800 drive. I was under the impression that FireWire doesn't use very CPU, but I guess creating a disk image does? Who knows...

It definitely doesn't get anywhere near this hot when I create a disk image of a CD or DVD. Perhaps that's the difference. :confused:

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

What temperature does plastic ignite at? Because I think that's awfully close. :eek::(:confused::eek::mad:

10. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

Depends on the type of plastic, I suppose...:p

Well this stinks. It never gets this hot during anything else no matter how hard I try to reproduce it. Grrrr....

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't recall my CPU usage to be that high when working with external HDD's. Try to do it again without any background applications open.