MBP Cpu's pegged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoganR, Oct 11, 2008.

1. LoganR macrumors newbie

Both my cpu's are pegged at 100%. i have reset the PRAM twice and to no avail, they are still pegged. I have nothing running at the moment. The fans also crank up to 6k as soon as I turn on the computer. I am running the latest version of Leopard on intel with 4 gig/ram. They should be hovering around 8% to 12% when idle. I have checked the activity monitor and there is nothing out of the ordinary running. Any suggestions on what this could be and how I can fix this? Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are you looking at All Processes under Activity Monitor?

3. LoganR thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't forget to sort by CPU% as well from highest to lowest.

6. LoganR thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Here is the screenshot. I noticed when I was going through the tasks before I made this thread, that this "printjobmgr." I have never seen this before and when I tried to force quit it asked me for my admin password, etc. I didn't want to force quit this if it was asking me for those privileges. As you can see, its using 100% of the cpu's. I dont even have a printer hooked up, if that is really what this task is. I would only assume so.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/963/47582000tr9.jpg

7. LoganR thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. That is just so weird. I have a Canon IP6000D. I only plug it in when I need to print something. The last time I printed something was just last night. I forced quit the program and the computer is back to normal. I am going to post the picture over at apple as well. Thank you 2 for the help. I appreciate it.

8. agore macrumors member

Your problem is caused by old print jobs sitting in your print queue. Go to System Preferences | Print & Fax, then go into Open Print Queue. Delete all jobs in the queue, and voila!

9. juststranded macrumors regular

Exactly.

I had this problem too a few weeks ago. Every Mac in my house was at full fan speed and 100% CPU. Someone else in the house had left something in the print queue of the AirPort Printer (Canon iP6220, coincidentally [or not]). Once I saw the Activity Monitor, I just opened the printer and canceled the job. Everything was back to normal.