MBP crash! Kernel panic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeffy.dee-lux, Jan 14, 2009.

1. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Hi, I've just had a pretty disconcerting crash with my 2.2GHz MBP (bought in July 2007). I had just been watching a movie in Front Row, then I moved my computer back to my desk, unplugging it temporarily, started using it a bit before plugging it in. I was just web browsing (though I might have had a few other programs left running, like iTunes, mail), had just attached an external hard drive, and then I used the trackpad to go to a hot corner for exposé. It didn't respond, so I tried a couple more times, and then the cursor became all slow and choppy, completely froze for a while, keyboard unresponsive too (command tab, Force-quit), then choppy cursor again until it froze completely. I gave it a few minutes to think about what it had just done, but I got nothing out of it, so I shut it off cold.

Anybody ever had any experiences like this? I've had it happen once or twice before in the past few months. Is this a Kernel Panic of sorts? Can you tell me where I can go to get some logs of what was happening? I have a new hard drive and RAM coming in the mail next week. Is there a good chance that after replacing all that, I can feel safe about this not happening anymore? Or could this be a problem lying in other parts of the computer?

Thanks for your help!

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I can only comment on "kernel panics" since I've experienced two of them in November and December of last year. The kernel panic occurred after watching videos, running keynote, powerpoint, safari and MS word at the same time. My fan went to 6400rpms and the temperature was at 186ºF, then it froze up and prompt screen said to restart my MBAir, but it kept freezing at the startup screen. Took it to Apple, and they asked if I backed up everything and I said yes, then they rebooted, inserted reinstall disc, repaired disc/permissions, erase and clean install. Was fine for a couple of weeks, repeated and did all the above stated info at my house with AppleCare walking me through everything, and I haven't repeated the kernel panic since, going on three weeks.

3. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the input. I ran disk utility, there were a few permissions to repair, but Verify Disk found no problems. Could a few simple permission problems cause something like this??

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what the problem might be, despite the Apple Techs hooking up my MBAir to their diagnostic MBP at the Apple Store. They couldn't even tell me whether it was hardware or software related, but the kernel panic could reoccur at anytime without warning. They did a hardware diagnosis, and the kernel panic was confirmed, but I already knew that from the prompt screen that appeared while it was frozen...

5. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol... okay, so a Kernel Panic really is just a catch-all term for "General hitting the fan".

Anyway, I guess I've got nothing to do but replace my HD and RAM as planned and hope for the best. Unfortunately my computer is no longer under warranty. Let the 1-year AppleCare purchase date slip by when I was in Europe by accident...

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You were in Europe by accident? Please try to be more careful!

Anyway, don't worry about a one-time event. I'd let it ride unless it happens again.

7. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol, yes, i don't know how it happened!
    Thanks for the inputs, I'll just have to hope for the best.

8. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I've replaced the Hard Drive and the RAM, so far so good! If I do get a KP, i'll be back on here, probably resorting to these emoticon things on the right.