MBP Crashed and Corrupted Win XP during gaming!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jho86, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jho86 macrumors newbie

Issue on late 08 MBP 2.4 GHZ?

Im not sure what the issue could be here but yesterday I ran boot camp, installed XP SP2 32bit, updated the 9600 GT drivers with the http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/xp/180.43 drivers and modified the INI.

No problems installing the drivers.

I played War Craft 3 (at 1280x1024 max settings) for 45 minutes and then suddenly my WC3 crashes in the game screen.
    I had to hold the power button to reboot, then it would not get back into Windows XP anymore, it was just stuck at the Windows XP boot screen.

BTW, im not sure if this is related but I installed XP SP2 on 31Gb Fat32 Partition..

Cause of problem? Fat32? 180.43 Nvidia 9600 GT drivers?

2. smacman macrumors 6502

Sounds like a forced shutdown by chipset due to an overheat. The forced shutdown likely corrupted your windows partition. Unfortunately, the Macbook Pros are not holding up to gaming very well with several other people reporting the exact same issue after 30+ mins of heavy GPU usage.

3. jho86 thread starter macrumors newbie

:mad:

so the MBP cant be used to play games?!?!
    even the OLD 1 and OLD MB had no problems playing WC3 !!!

SMC fan controller work the new MBP?

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Games work fine on mine within XP, and many other people's systems (including Engadget, Gizmodo, and PC Magazine) have no issues playing games on the new MBP. I love how when something doesn't work on their specific system, they assume it is a global issue. Perhaps you have a bad install of XP, or something else going on with that install?

Currently SMC Fan controller does not have a version that supports the new systems. They have an Nvidia chipset and likely need new code to access the system controller.

[​IMG]

5. jho86 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am going to re-install XP on NTFS (instead of on FAT32 31GB) when I get home later and use the boot-camp drivers only. See if this would fix it :confused: