MBP Crashed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John444, Feb 24, 2012.

1. John444, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

John444 macrumors member

Ok I have a MBP with core 2-duo, 500 GB of hard drive space, and 4GB of ram, running lion. Recently it froze, and then after it froze in safe mode, I had to force shut it down. now it is crashed and won't boot up. The recovery hd says my internal hard drive "Macintosh HD" is not mounted. I believe I have to re-install lion, but first I need to mount Macintosh HD.

It won't even start up (the apple loading screen turns into a circle with a line through it), I have to boot into recovery hd (holding down option while booting). Disk Utility says that everything is ok, its just is not mounted, and it won't mount.

I do not want to loose my files on this computer, I haven't backed up in a while and will loose important info.

Is there anyway to mount my internal hard drive so that I can re-install lion and save my computer? or do I have to wipe everything and reformat my mac?

Please help!

2. Maverick513 macrumors member

There may be some hardware failure in your machine. May be hard drive, or the hard drive cable. You may want to contact Apple support center for this problem.

3. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

I would bet my left arm that it's the hard drive flex cable. It's always the blasted flex cable.

You should be able to find the part on iFixit. If your Mac is under a year old though, take it to the Apple Store.

4. John444 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, noted, thanks. I was able to get my mac functioning, however I had to repartition the hard drive, therefore all my data was wiped.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer