MBP crashing while playing Wow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shelhed217, Mar 7, 2011.

1. shelhed217 macrumors member

I installed Wow on my new MBP 15in quad 2.0 ghz laptop this weekend. Since then it is crashing atleast once an hour. I reinstalled, but kept the WTF and interface folders, still crashing (and I mean the entire laptop is frozen, unable to alt tab, force quit, its completely frozen).
    I just checked and the CPU temp according to istat is 88 C after playing for an hour with fan speeds of 6200+. The GPU temp was 76. Is this an overheating issue? What else can I check?

thanks
    (I have a 2010 MBP 15 inch i7 wth Wow installed with no issues, its at home tonight but I dont recall ever hearing fan noise from it to this degree).

2. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I'm having the same issues with my 15" i7 2.2ghz

3. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Check the Console to see if anything was logged around the time that your computer crashed.

Also, are you able to reproduce this issue with any other applications, or is it limited to World of Warcraft?

4. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

For me at least, its World of Warcraft and Dragon Age Origins. Same issue as him and also with gaming.

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

6. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I'm hoping its firmware or software or whatever and not a hardware issue. This computer is actually an Apple replacement, and the guy is calling me tomorrow to see how it is. I'm hesitant to tell him about it :p

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Figure enough people play WoW so I'm sure in the next few days we'll get some more info from this.

8. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I saw a couple threads on the mac forums of wow and a few threads here, but it doesn't seem to be oh so widespread... I can't really tell

9. doingitlive, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

doingitlive macrumors member

Guys I have the new quadcore 2.2 i7 15" MBP and I am running max graphics with NO problems what so ever. I downloaded through blizzard. I also have Cataclysm. All smiles for me. BTW i only have 4GB of ram to, so IDK what your problem is.

ALSO: I have a Targus gel cooling mat (its pulls the heat out from the bottom. I gonna do some temp tests now and post them here. Using iStat Pro for my readings.

10. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

We have the exact same system... so now I'm a bit worried.

Could it be because I transferred WoW over from my Macbook Air with Migration Assistant / Time Machine?

11. kjos8035 macrumors member

Same issue here..

17" 2.3ghz i7, 8gb ram, 512gb ssd.

Only seems to happen when I try to window wow with Command+M

Transferred the install from an external, if that makes a difference.

12. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Hmm, an interesting update! I've deleted my WTF and Cache folders, and it seems to be running a LOT better now. I'll keep on with updates...

SMC Fancontrol having fans maxed just had me at 60C down from 75ish, I turned FanControl off and now its at 80 with fans at 3300, heading toward 90. Might just need to keep fan control on the whole time.

13. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

If you wanna try deleting WTF and Interface like I did, and see if it makes a difference for you?

My only question now, if it actually is helping, is how to do this with DA..

14. doingitlive macrumors member

Ok guys here are my result. I am running MAXIMUM video graphics settings for the game and have been at it for quite some time. Doing dungeon instances with the finder and spending time in orgrimmar which is a very busy city. My MBP has not skipped a beat since my ownership! :D

Al heat temps in Celsius using iStat Pro

HDD 30c
    CPU 72c
    CPU heat sink 60c
    30c
    30c
    28c
    GPU 69c
    GPU diode 68c

15. doingitlive macrumors member

Who else is having troubles??? I left mine on from last night, still running temps like the ones above!!!

16. shelhed217 thread starter macrumors member

I originally installed from time machine, but after the first few crashes I reinstalled the game as i stated originally with the exception of the WTF and interface folders.
    I tried Masseffect 2 on bootcamp windows 7- played for about 2 hours with no issues. Still runs very hot with very high fan speeds tho.

I saw another post about steam crashing possibly being related to video drivers for the 6750, I am wondering if that is the case here. It's not just the games crashing its the entire laptop locking up.

I am traveling this week and so don't have access to the discs that came with it, anyone know a way to do a hardware check without them? Or what else I can check? I worked about 10 hours today on citrix with no issues, but the CPU temp never went above 48c and its of course not graphically challenging.

thanks in advance

17. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Hey shel, I bought a 2010 i7 model and it's coming in a couple days. I really only play WoW and SC2 and hope to play Diablo III. Anyway, did you play Cataclysm with that set up? I was wondering how well it ran in OSX, in Org, raids, heroics etc., what kind of settings etc? I'll be playing at the higher resolution, but I suspect similar settings still at 1440x900. Give me some insight please?

18. darqueside macrumors newbie

I have had my 2.2 almost 2 weeks now and have raided on it for several hours at a time and not had any issues or even hints of crashing. Its snappy and loads quickly but coming from an xps 600 I really had no where to go but up. I had all the settings at ultra and had no issues, I actually turned them down because on ultra there was too much ground clutter and too many distacting shadows to play effectively for me. I used an external monitor for WOW for the first time last night and still had no issues. I did install everything from scratch though as I am coming from a PC, apparently if you dont handle things through migration assistant and just try to restore from a time machine backup of a different system you run into issues....but I suppose that goes without saying.

Temps slightly higher than the ones above for wow but not by much mine has spiked at maybe 83c max running games but never stayed there and average for games seems to be about 72-80c which is hot but not really worse than can be expected. I actually found that my temps went down some while driving the external monitor which makes no sense to me at least....

19. shelhed217 thread starter macrumors member

I have the 2010 MBP 15in I7, i upgraded to 8 GB ram. I had to make a few concessions on graphics (no sunbeam or water effects, and medium to high settings for everything else) but it runs great in cata, i've been raiding on it with no issues.

This 2011 I have everything on the highest settings and its beautiful while it runs :)

On the phone with Apple support now...

20. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2140185519?page=1

A blue's response.
    looks like it's happening to a few other members.

and thanks for that info! I usually cap at 30FPS anyway so as long as I can turn up some stuff at high res at 30FPS I'll be a happy camper.

21. shelhed217 thread starter macrumors member

I have to laugh because the level one support person was surfing here for information :)
    Call has been escalated to engineers, i should hear back in 2-5 days. Most likely if nothing changes by Friday though this is going back, my 2010 like I said is flawless.
    thanks all

22. shamash, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Nice! I'm happy about that.. I really don't want to have to send this machine back in..

(Wonder if you can find the post I made in the Mac Support Forum? :D)

One more link for ya'll from Apple discussion forums
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2768351&tstart=15

23. shelhed217 thread starter macrumors member

I've been following the posts on the Apple forums, looks like people are trading theirs in and still having problems. I'm still waiting to hear back from the engineers :(

24. shelhed217 thread starter macrumors member

Just an update...
    Never heard back from Apple tech support by Friday, so i went ahead to the apple store (went to a different one from where i bought it). They ran the 24 hour hardware test and found no issues. I came back Saturday and they asked me to show them the issue, luckily it only took a few minutes to get it to crash. They ended up replacing it as they didn't have any more idea what was going on with it.

Got home with new MBP, Saturday night played Wow for 4 hours with no crash (frequently tabbing in and out). Sunday installed Bootcamp and ran the apple driver CD (which i noted had Nvidia and ATI drivers), now on Mac side it crashes just like before on Wow, Steam, you name it. PC side does not crash.

I am going to remove Bootcamp and see if that helps. Otherwise I am out of ideas. I see plenty of people on here who are gaming with no problems. I have another 14 days to decide if I want to return it. I still have my 2010 which runs great, but damn Rift is pretty on this new machine :(

Alternatively I may move Wow to the PC side, but that just pisses me off.
    Anyone have any better luck exchanging their MBP?

25. kjos8035 macrumors member

I've been having the issue when tabbing out of wow, but I'm just dealing with it for now. I'm guessing a firmware update or something along those lines will fix the issues. Exchanging it will obviously just produce similar results for the time being.