mbp crashing

bmc1818

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
My mbp 15 has been crashing alot lately. I wont be doing anything other then using iphoto or itunes and it puts up a screen telling me to restart the computer. It also crashes while trying to update the software. Has anyone elese had problems with this? What should I do?

bmc1818

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
When i look at the report when it reboots, it says it is a kernal panic. WHat does that mean? I have not installed any extra ram just the 512 it came from apple with.

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
It can be said that a kernel panic is the Mac equivalent to the Windows blue screen of death. Maybe someone is willing to present a more technical definition.:eek:

About the computer, something is very much wrong w/ it. My roommate had the same issue w/ his, same specs. It would wake up when shut and overheat tremendously. I think a replacement is likely for you.

GannonMt21

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2006
Me too

I just had that happen to my new MBP. I had to send it back the day after I got it. Yesterday. :( Well third MBP should be a charm. Fingers crossed. It is a Kernal Panic. If you turn your airport off it will work fine. I'm pretty sure I got a faullty airport card. I can't be on the internet wirelessly for more than a few minutes surfing the web without the cascading dark screen of horror. :eek: :eek: So I'm getting a new one.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
Please do not reinstall OSX. This has virtually no chance of fixing any problem that you are likely to have.
Reinstalling OS X fixed my kernel panic problem.. my MB was experiencing kernel panics almost everyday, so I formatted the drive and reinstalled OS X.. no crashes ever since.

I absolutey recommend reinstalling, and then check if you're having problems (dont install third party software yet.. run it with the basic stuff for 2-3 days)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Music_Producer said:
Reinstalling OS X fixed my kernel panic problem.. my MB was experiencing kernel panics almost everyday, so I formatted the drive and reinstalled OS X.. no crashes ever since.

I absolutey recommend reinstalling, and then check if you're having problems (dont install third party software yet.. run it with the basic stuff for 2-3 days)
Not knowing what was actually wrong, or what you tried to fix it, I can't say whether reinstalling OSX wasn't an overkill approach, though in virtually every case, it is overkill. For instance you might very well have had a problem with your disk directory which could have been repaired quite easily. There are many things to try before rolling out the heavy artillery. I strongly advise against reinstallation before other less disruptive measures are tried.