MBP cripplingly slow and no responding programs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shibuya, Jan 6, 2012.

1. shibuya macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

It started a few days ago when my MBP beachballed/crashed on a website on firefox. After I forced shut down, firefox would crash on open, so I switched browsers, and that would crash on certain websites. After a few crashes with that, more programs began to start crashing on opening too (things like Twitter, Photoshop).

The speed of the computer seemed fine, until last night where upon a restart, it took 5-10 minutes to boot up and log in. Now it's cripplingly slow, and constantly hanging/freezing. Now I can't open any programs, and the most I can really do is open up a folder which took about 20 minutes. It's also worth mentioning that half of my top bar isn't showing up (where the time and battery power is).
    I did an extensive hardware check which came out fine and verified disk/disk permissions with my installation disks and it didn't really change anything.

Searching around the internet leads me to believe it's something to do with the harddrive, and I'd like to back it up before going any further but how would I go about trying to back it up when I can't actually do anything on it?

It doesn't really help that I'm also out of the country and won't be able to get near my external HD for the next couple of days, but any help on what's causing it or advice on how to get around the problem would be really appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It does sound like your hard drive may be dying. If you can, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Performance tips for Mac OS X

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I would go into disk utility and "verify disk"

4. shibuya thread starter macrumors newbie

^ I've already done that, and it didn't really make a difference.

I've just attempted getting to the Activity Monitor but no luck, I can't even spotlight search it as it's disappeared off the top bar. It seems as if the only thing I can now do is load the mac up and look at the dock.

5. iforbes macrumors 6502

You can also open Spotlight by using command+shift.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like your drive may be toast.... or close to it.

7. shibuya thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, I was afraid of that. Looks like I'm going to have to book myself an appointment with Apple and see what my options are.

Thanks for the help guys.

8. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

on mine it's command+space...

9. iforbes macrumors 6502

doh!!! you are quite correct!