MBP custom config shipped from: China!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NonGamerDude, Mar 8, 2008.

1. NonGamerDude macrumors newbie

Seems like in times past, my Apple orders have usually come from Tennessee (I'm in Colorado). I was surprised to check my FedEx tracking and see my MBP was shipped from Shanghai. (I ordered online from Apple.) I wonder if this is because I upgraded the base-model MBP hard drive to 250? Or because they're short on supply in the U.S.? Anyone else get theirs from China? Just curious.

Incidentally, here's my MBP's travelog (FedEx reports local times, so I converted to my time zone):

(Ordered on Sunday March 2)

8:25 pm MST, Mar. 4 - Left origin in Shanghai

12:28 am MST, Mar. 6 - Still "in transit" in Shanghai (36 hours later!!)

1:09 pm MST, Mar. 6 - Arrived Anchorage, Alaska (that's about a 12-hour trip, which sounds about right)

7:04 pm MST, Mar. 6 - Left Anchorage

12:49 am MST, Mar. 7 - arrived Indianapolis (making a huge global circle around Denver, apparently)

4:27 am MST, Mar. 7 - depart Indianapolis

5:30 am MST, Mar. 7 - arrived Denver

2. aforty macrumors 65816

Seems that everyone ordering online this close to the "release" will get theirs straight from the factories. Nothing out of the ordinary going on here.

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I ordered mine back in November when it wasn't close to the release of anything and it came from China, as well. I think it's because you made it custom, because I made mine custom as well. Just a hunch.

4. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

I recently ordered a MBP and an Air, both stock models, both shipped from China.

5. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

my bto is being shipped from shanghai also but thats ok :)

6. Sage Harupyuia macrumors member

its nothing new, really.

most of their factories are in China. To take advantage of the lower cost of production. (which equates to higher profit margins. ;) )

be happy that they dont have a factory in Singapore. QC in Singapore is very stringent, but the cost there....well, be prepared to pay a LOT more if that ever happens. ;)

7. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Mine is a BTO as well and was shipped and built in China.

8. MurphyM macrumors 6502

We've had iPods engraved and they were shipped direct from China too. It amazes me that it's cost effective. Then again, lots of manufacturing companies are deeply involved with FedEx. When there's volume there's a way.

9. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

I too was amazed at how quickly the products make it to your doorstep with FedEx. Your correct, it must be cost effective but the shipping alone seems like it wouldn't be.

10. MurphyM macrumors 6502

There's probably a hundred ipods in a case or something like that. Ten cases in a pallet... The pallet has a number that's a parent to all the shipping numbers inside - so they only track the parent across the ocean. When it gets to Memphis they open the case and all the happy ipods are born with their own shipping numbers taking over, leaving the parent number behind.

I'm just making it up - but I'd assume they don't have any individual ipod or mac boxes packed on the plane!

11. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

yup, most custom configured macs come from Shanghai especially if you ordered near the release of a new model