MBP dead. Need help to restore my TM or Superduper backup on older model

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sturvey84, Nov 16, 2011.

1. sturvey84 macrumors newbie

Hi, im really hoping someone can reply with my options. Heres the situation. Im in argentina and my mbp has died thanks to water spillage. The hard drive seems to have survived the ordeal and i also have an external hd with full and recent time machine and superduper backups. The problem is a new mbp here costs $3000 so i need to find one second hand, and asap, because im supposed to be working here! I've found, for example, one for sale about 2 years older than my pro running leopard (i had snow leop). What would anyone recommend i do? Thanks a lot. Steve.

2. simsaladimbamba

That two year old MBP will work, as you can connect the HDD with the SuperDuper backup to it, boot from the backup and then clone the backup via SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to the freshly formatted internal HDD.

3. sturvey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast reply. So once i boot up using the external hd, i can clone that to the internal hd, and replace everything on that hd? Will the computer then be running snow leopard as on my old machine? Will anything need to be reinstalled? Thanks

4. simsaladimbamba, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Since a clone created with SuperDuper is a 1:1 copy (unless you excluded something) of your internal HDD to another HDD (external or internal), and that 1:1 copy is bootable and contains the same Mac OS X version as the one you have on the internal HDD, the cloning of that 1:1 copy to another HDD (now the internal HDD of the "new" Mac) after that other HDD has been properly formatted (see below how), the HDD in the "new" Mac will contain the same data as the 1:1 copy you made of the HDD of the now defunct Mac and also contain the correct Mac OS X version and not the one the "new" Mac came with, as you deleted that older Mac OS X version before you cloned the 1:1 copy to the "new" Mac's HDD.

In less words: Yes, the backup you did via SuperDuper will contain the correct Mac OS X version and cloning that 1:1 copy to the "new" Mac's HDD will get you the exact same Mac OS X version and all your data onto that "new" Mac.

Addendum:
    [​IMG]

5. sturvey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is good news. Thanks for the help. I'll post back here if i have any problems.