MBP dead/stuck pixels, questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lock, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Lock macrumors member

My 6 month old mbp has developed a dead pixel. While I was inspecting it I noticed that I have 8+ pixels that are stuck in addition to the very noticeable dead one. I'm trying a pixel program, but so far no luck. My questions are:

Is this covered under applecare? I know people have exchanged macs with this number of pixels, but they did it just after purchase.

Second, how did this happen? I'm pretty sure that I would have noticed these pixels earlier. I haven't had the mbp out of the house and it hasn't been bumped around. The only thing that I can think of would be if the cat was walking on it while I was out of the house.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

how close are they together, this determines what apple will do for you

3. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

I had dead pixels on my old MBP as well, and I just took it with me to an authorized apple repair center (no apple store in my area), changed the desktop background to a single color. Then the repair guy looked at it for 10 secs and said 'yupp, warranty will cover that'. = new screen

Had dead pixels in the middle of the screen, a few mm in size, then a pattern of a few smaller dead pixel "circles" toward the bottom of the screen. These weren't very visible unless you really looked for them, or the image on the screen was a single color.

Edit: Forgot to mention I had him look at it about 8 months after purchase; handed it in for the actual repair after 11 months.

4. Lock thread starter macrumors member

The pixels were fairly spread out and not in the center of the screen.

I say were because after use of one of those unsticking programs over night and some massaging, I've managed to knock out the stuck pixels. The dead one is still there, but it's about an inch away from the bottom right corner.

Anyway, thanks for the story Spritey. Half the reason that I posted was that I was having a little freak out over the imperfection of my prized mbp. It's good to know that applecare handles that sort of thing.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i think you might have been out of luck though there, it has to be like 5, and they have to all be within an inch of each other

6. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

There is no harm in trying to get it replaced under warranty. I had one friend who spilled water on his keyboard, but was able to get it repaired under warranty (must have been a kind (or careless) Genius).