mbp dead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JimKirk, Aug 6, 2011.

1. JimKirk macrumors 6502

15 inch model with hires screen.

FROZE up and display had some weird pattern and would not boot.

I bring to genius and they say its out of warranty two months.

So after I get it back a week later with new display and logic board I find out the tech stripped one of my fan screws. I saw this when I put my ssd back in.

So I also notice what looked like hot glue on the connector for I sight.

It looks like the tech broke it and hot glued it. Also notice the black strip along the back is no longer flush and the display overhangs about 1/8 of an inch on the right.

So I bring it back and tech fixes the cosmetic stuff and says hot glue on the connector is normal. Yea right. Anyway I take it home and it does not wake from sleep just black screen. So I reninstall lion and install office. When I launch word or excel it kernel panics.

Now I bring it back a third time and genius tells me its a software problem with word or excel and lion. Yea right this is a fresh install. I insist he replace the logic board again.

So we shall see. This is rediculus maybe third times the charm.

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

after 3 repairs , under the warrenty, apple will have to replace te machine with a new one. if they dont YOU request it

3. JimKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

machine was 3 months out of warranty

I paid for the repair. I assume I won't get a new one after the 3rd repair.

4. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

OP said it was 2 months out of warranty.

5. Nocky24 macrumors member

Fair point, but what happens if you've paid for the repair and Apple have been unable to deliver a fix?

6. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

They probably give you back the money you paid for the repair and say, "Sorry, we cannot fix your Mac." after that you would have to buy a new Mac.

7. JimKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

apples repair cost is fair

I only paid 150 instead of 350 so I feel ok with it.

I feel like I got sold a lemon still.

screen and logic board should not fail after 1 year.

but they will fix anything for 350. I don't think any other computer company will do that. Considering the logic board alone is more then 350 its a pretty good deal. I had to convince them politely that I don't think its right for me to pay anything. He met me half way so I paid 150 plus tax.

still no computer though since its back for 3rd repair.