MBP default font size question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LJR, Dec 17, 2007.

1. LJR macrumors newbie

I love my MBP and its 1900 x 1200 display - especially when video editing. However I want to know if it's possible to change the default system font size on a global level? Presently it's tiny and quite difficult to read at times. I only need to notch it up a couple of pixels.

Thanks

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Not easily, but if you open up System Preferences > Displays and check "Show displays in menu bar", a little icon will appear at the top of your screen which will allow you to change your resolution with two clicks.

3. LJR thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Fleetwood Mac (that name takes me back a few years ;) )

Firstly, thank you for responding.

I tried your suggestion but that just changes the resolution and not the font size. I.e. the font is exactly the same size in 1920 x 1200 and 1600 x 1200. Problem as well that was you had huge black bars on each side of the display unless you chose 'stretched' which did exactly that, including the font, making it less sharp (and definitely not conducive to video editing).

I'm pretty new to the mac and there are so many things I love about it but there are some things which I just can't understand why they are missing. I can't really understand why it's so difficult to change a system font pixel size for example. Quite bizarre really.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's one of the ways Apple "thinks different". Allowing people to adjust font sizes across the board would be far too logical, far too Windows. Sort of like two button trackpads, or a maximize button. Best get used to it--in a lot of ways, Apple is very resistant to change.

edit:
    You can try Tinkertool in the meantime. It allows you to modify various font sizes and stylings...http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

5. LJR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!! I'll check that out.

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I should have been more clear. My trick allows you to change the screen's resolution more easily. I use a smaller resolution for doing normal computer stuff, and increase the resolution when I'm editing for example.

Less third-party applications like heatmiser kindly suggested, we're out of luck as far as actually changing the font size goes.