MBP default region coding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmacosx, Mar 16, 2008.

1. mrmacosx macrumors member

Hi,

I bought a Penryn MacBook Pro from the Hong Kong store and arrived a few days ago. It's a great upgrade from my (now sold) MacBook! I watched Seinfeld today (bought in Canada, region 1). DVD Player did not ask me to change region coding, so I assume the default region coding is Region 1? Is there any software to check my current region code and how many more times I can change the code? Thanks.

mrmacosx

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

to see your region code just try a DVD with another region, strange it did not ask to change the region coding (Hong Kong is region 3,. you can change the region code 4 times i believe.

3. mrmacosx thread starter macrumors member

RE: MBP default region coding

Well, actually I don't want to take the risk of it not asking again and losing 2 region code changes! Are all MacBook Pro's the same (not counting config, etc.) in the default coding?

mrmacosx

PS Forgive my relatively poor English, I haven't been in Canada for a couple years now!

4. mrmacosx thread starter macrumors member

RE: MBP default region coding

double post, sorry

5. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

not all MBPros have the same default coding, it just depends where you buy it i suppose. since yours is bought in Hong Kong i assumed it was region 3 but did you buy it in person or on the net? maybe if you bought it on the net then they configured it as region 1 since it was to be sent to Canada. the laptop will tell you when if you want to change the region when you insert a disc with different coding, i will not just change the region coding without asking.
    and here is to cheer you up -->
    http://www.powerbook-fr.com/dossiers/dvd_region_free_en_article30.html

6. mrmacosx thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I bought it from http://store.apple.com/800-908-988/WebObjects/hongkongstore (Apple Store Hong Kong) so it would be on the 'net'. So, these laptops were set to be sent to US/Canada, so the default coding is Region 1? Also, in System Profiler, it is a MATSHITA UJ-867 DVD-R, and in http://www.powerbook-fr.com/dossiers/dvd_region_free_en_article30.html, it is without Firmware Officiels and Firmwares RPC1 links. I'm assuming Firmwares RPC1 is Region free, and since no links for my drive, no firmware free happiness for me?

7. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

no, sorry. it seems the region code might no be set from factory but it'll be on whatever code is the first DVD you read so your superdrive is region 1, you can try a region 2 or other and it'll ask you if you want to change and will tell you how many you're allowed to do.

8. mrmacosx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

All right, thanks for your help!!!