MBP Deformation around CD slot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miniConvert, Sep 3, 2007.

1. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I was looking at my extremely pampered SR MBP this morning when I noticed the thin piece of metal at the top of the CD slot now bends downwards slightly. This leaves a slight gap between that thin bit of metal and the top of the casing. It's not so bad that a CD wouldn't go in the drive if I needed it to, but I have no idea how it has happened or if it'll get worse.

I don't have a picture, but I have heard of it happening before. I always assumed it was some kind of damage, but damn, my MBP definitely hasn't been!

I can't consult Apple just yet because I don't have time for a repair, but can anyone familiar with this sort of case issue advise me on my options? There's a local Apple authorised repair centre near me, but do I really want them replacing an entire case? I'm not so sure.

Which leaves Apple, nearest store Bluewater. I'm not even sure what they'd say if I went to see a genius - would they try and blame it on damage and refuse to help?

My MBP works perfectly. This is exactly the sort of issue that I have been afraid of, and it's rapidly putting me off having a laptop encased in aluminium.

I'm more than a little concerned that a £2500 laptop can be so frail. All help/reassurances appreciated!

2. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

bah its not so bad, it still works at least. Mine is sort of bent downwards abiot since I got my hard drive replaced but since everything still works fine I wont make an issue out of it. But I definitely will be getting applecare incase.

3. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Something's definitely wrong - the rubber/plastic trim between the top (where you'd put your wrists) and the bottom casing is pushing upwards, while the thin piece of metal above the CD slot continues to bend down. It's as if there's something trapped between the palm area and the CD drive.

I had my keyboard replaced a couple of weeks ago by a local service centre. Perhaps something hasn't gone together quite right. I'll take it back to them next week, I hope they make it right!

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I would look into it, cause if it has started to bend down, it will continue to bend down.

Of course, you could get a 17" and avoid the problem all together.
    [​IMG]

Behold the wonders of Apple design.

5. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

If surgeons can leave scalpels inside of patents lord knows that the butt of a Camel cigarette could be sitting on top of your disc drive.