MBP dented bottom case-am I screwed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rubmyster, May 22, 2008.

1. Rubmyster macrumors newbie

My 3 month old MBP fell out of my backpack this week and landed on the corner, bending the top and bottom cases.:eek: It still works fine but there's a finger nail sized gap on the lower left case and it's squared now.
    I went to the local Mac place- $474.00 to replace the bottom. The Apple store wants $1249.00 for "accidental damage." Ouch.
    Apple says I must have the repair done by a certified Apple tech to maintain my Apple Care. So, it looks like I have to spend more $ than I paid for the Apple Care to maintain it. hmmm... I've checked out the parts and the bottom case is $179.00 and have found a place that will fix it for $349.00-they may not be certified.
    My big dilemma here is that I would like to repair this, money is tight, and I'd hope to maintain my warranty. I'm bummed that now my computer is tweaked and fear that if something happens and I try to use my Apple Care, it will be slammed because I dropped it.
    Any one have any suggestions on the repair or know any certified techs in Northern/Central California?
    thanks,
    Rubmsyter
    I'd have posted a pic but my camera broke last week.:confused:

2. LBriggs macrumors newbie

Take better care of yr stuff dude!

But think of it this way... If you go the cheap route and get the bottom replaced by a non-certified tech, how will Apple know that it was ever dropped in the first place if you bring it in for a different issue and invoke your Applecare?

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

They will if he has already reported it to Apple.

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

don't drop your computer. apple care was/is not meant for people dropping their machines. that's why they charge so much.