MBP Depreciation Rate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meowth212, Feb 11, 2009.

1. meowth212 macrumors newbie

Hey guys - long time reader, first time poster here - I had my 2007 MBP stolen last October (purchased June 2007), and my insurance claim is depreciating the value of my computer. My MBP was 2.2ghz Intel core 2 duo, 2gb ram, 120gb HD, and I had purchased Applecare for it too (which my insurance company has already agreed to cover as part of the claim). I spent a total of $2371 (includes 6% state tax) for the MBP and applecare. My insurance company is offering $1750 for the entire package.

So my question is, does this seem like an accurate depreciated value of the MBP + Applecare? I am hesitant to take the first offer, so I want to ask for more, but I have no benchmark with which to compare the offer to. Is the 16-month-old MBP + Applecare worth more? less? Thoughts? Thanks guys!

2. isaki87 macrumors regular

I say take it. That amount seems fair; my brother just sold the same model with a bigger HD, more ram, and applecare for around $1900. It doesn't hurt to ask for more...

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you should have called Apple when you lost your computer to cancel the AppleCare. They give you a prorated refund. They still can.

As for the computer you can buy the Early 2008 base-model for even less than that!

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd just take it and get another laptop ASAP. It's not a bad deal, although under the right circumstances where you have as much time as you need to sell it, you may be able to get another $100 or so.

Also, with the newly redesigned model coming up in a few days, I think your old 17" MBP took a hit in its value. Updates aren't normally a big deal, but this particular update is a big one.

5. easy-mac macrumors member

I believe that model is the 15" MBP if the total price he quoted included Apple Care and taxes, but I could be wrong. Anyway that seems like a really good offer. You can go to www.mac2sell.net and find out how much your computer is worth, but in my opinion it seems to give a very low estimate. For instance, it says your computer would be worth $960, but I don't think that factors in Apple Care. I'd take their offer because it seems very fair, but by all means try to get more if you can.

6. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I'm not sure what type of policy you have but I would absolutely fight depreciation. Especially if you have a receipt for the full $2,371. Why do you get a bill for a $2,400 insurance policy if its only worth 1,750? There nickle and diming you.
    The bottom line is that you insured an item for $2,371. Your product is gone, regardless of what is, laptop, car, ring, a rock, whatever.

Your entitled to the full amount. Also why is it taking so long, four months?

7. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

When my previous laptop was stolen (several years old), my insurance gave me the original retail value. That's how I bought my current MBP. But then, my insurance company is USAA. They're also my bank, credit card company, auto and home insurance, and probably my home loan company in a couple of years.

Sorry for sounding like an advertisement. What I'm getting at is, who's your insurance company, and do you have specific coverage for laptops, or is this just a general policy?

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Dump those jokers. Computers depreciate, but do they give you a yearly rebate for the depreciated amount? Statefarm specifically says I get the full value of my MBP *if* it gets stolen.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Okay, does your policy say anything on this? I'd argue that the purpose of insurance is to put you in the same place you were in prior to the loss. Show them ebay and craigslist listings of identical models with applecare. Tell them you want the full retail value of the machine including applecare, or they can buy you an identical machine or better.

Also, what was on your machine? Software that you can't copy? A full retail installation of CS3 or Final Cut? Any work product that can't be replaced? Don't commit fraud, but make sure you're compensated for all of your losses.

Again, read the frakkin' policy.

10. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Eh I sell my computer (ibooks, macbooks, macbook pros) every 18 to 24 months on eBay. They seem to drop between $300 and $500.

11. cubedweller macrumors 6502

What about selling refurbs purchased directly through Apple? Do I have to specify that it was a refurb -- if so, why? It has AppleCare so the warranties would be identical -- just wondering if it's morally wrong to sell a refurb Apple product without specifying it as such.... what do you guys think? :eek:

12. Paul B macrumors 6502

$300-500, that's it? Is that figure about right for anyone else?

I bought an Early 2008 MBP (2.6 Penryn with 17" widescreen display, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD) for $2,300 back in September 2008. I've been checking eBay and now, used MBPs with similar specs are going for around $1,700. That means my MBP depreciated $600 in just 8 months, at a rate of $75/month. Much more than your depreciation rate.

Anyone else care to share how much their MBP has depreciated?

13. Pivzavod macrumors member

That's also because of the unibody release: not the usual processor/graphics update. The previous generation price dropped significantly - even for the new units.

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Yes, but you stepped over a major form factor change. Sometimes, the timing just really sucks.

As for the thread starter, yeah, that's more than a fair current retail value. I have an early 2008 2.6Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, and 512MB of VRAM, which is the the maximum factory spec. I think I paid $2700 for it (RAM, Apple kinda did for free). I looked into selling it a few months ago to switch to the new MBP and I'd say I would have been lucky to get more than $1800 for it. On the other hand, I think your insurance company should be giving you the full retail value.

15. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

Good old USAA! I was wondering exactly the same thing regarding this thread...why don't you get replacement value for a new one? That's how my homeowners insurance on my computers is structured. Replacement value for a similar new model.

16. skwirl341 macrumors member