MBP depreciation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by devildriver1, Sep 30, 2010.

1. devildriver1 macrumors newbie

I've found what seems to be the best price for a 15" MBP of around £1170 (retails at 1499 @ Apple store) and I'm curious to know what sort of price I could sell the laptop at say 6 months or a year down the line.

I've considered picking up the current model now and then selling it on if Apple were to release an updated MBP with a significant enough upgrade to make up for any monetary losses (updated gfx, usb 3 etc.)

Has anyone done this before? Does an old MBP usually make an easy sale or is the whole plan too much hassle?

thanks,

2. Epic800 macrumors newbie

From my experience 15'' and 17'' models hold their value well. You won't loose that much by selling it 6 months down the road.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Anything is an easy sell if the price is right. Remember that the resale value may go down if the new generation brings great features as people aren't ready to pay that much for the old one. For example, previous gen Core 2 Duo MBPs did lose quite a lot of their value as people wanted the new iX CPUs.

4. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

In general, MBPs hold their value really well. If you find a good deal (~$500 < retail) on the MBP, you probably won't lose more than $100-200 when you resell it later on down the road. I know people that found such good deals that they actually make money on their MBPs when they resell a year later. The statement Hellhammer made is also very true, but I doubt the general public could pick out a Santa Rosa chipset vs. an older one (I'm assuming the same thing will happen with Sandy Bridge, but who knows). The big processor upgrades are the ones to be wary of (Core 2 Duo to iX)