MBP Deteriorating Arm Rests

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Raptura, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Raptura macrumors 6502

Raptura

My early 2008 MBP is about to be replaced with a new 2011 MBA, but I'm still wondering if any people here have experienced the horrible deteriorating palm rests like I have.

They started off small, but have gradually become worse and worse. I even tried to cover it up a :apple: Sticker on the right, but it eventually came off. You can still see the outline of the Apple.

I had two other friends with this model of laptop and they never had this problem. Is my sweat acidic?! lol

Also, my S key is so messed up, as you can see in the attached photo, I just don't get it. I took good care of the laptop. Anyone else with wear and tear like this?

Attached Files:

• lolz.jpg
      lolz.jpg
      File size:
      929.3 KB
      Views:
  2. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

>> I had two other friends with this model of laptop and they never had this problem. Is my sweat acidic?! lol <<

Well, I'd have to guess "YES" to that question, and the Scratches to the Right suggest you have some Jewelry and/or Watch which will accelerate the issue.. Much like scratching your car's finish, it soon turns BAD if not corrected..

Guessing as a minimum you'd need to 'do some housecleaning' more often to solve this.. The Oils in our skin Trap Dirt, and then it's all over for the pretty computer finish!!
    :(

3. Raptura thread starter macrumors 6502

Raptura

That's the weird part about it. The ones on the right are scratched, dug in. I've never worn jewellery or a watch to cause this. This is all from my wrist and wrist alone. I've been through it from the beginning and watched it slowly wear away.

I'm just worried it'll happen to my new MBA.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

That generation was prone to pitting due to acidic sweat, a friend of mine's top case has started developing this as well.

Unless Apple changed their powdercoating/anodizing methods, it could happen to your new computer as well.