Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Just returned to my perfect MBP 2012 (after 2 hours) and pressed the power button because appeared to be off (but may not have been) at this point MBP became non responsive and screen was black in colour. Then I placed a DVD in the MBP and the DVD began playback and I could hear the movie (Next Friday) but the MBP screen remained black even during DVD playback so I then hit eject and remove the DVD. Then I hold the power button for 5 seconds, the MBP shut down, now on reboot the MBP is noisy! sounds like the cooling fan is always running now now stop and the whole time I had my MBP I NEVER heard any noise from it ever, totally silent up until that moment, please help what shall I do!

Please don't say the noise is normal or anything because my MBP was perfect and was totally silent up to this point.. :(

Last edited:

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Sweet dude, I will try that now if you don't hear from me for a while I will be in mac heaven with my baby :apple:

Nov 28, 2010
located
Sweet dude, I will try that now if you don't hear from me for a while I will be in mac heaven with my baby :apple:

And I am watching a film playing in London. So, if you do not hear back, I am in Luton then. Or Stansted. Probably at Surrey Quays, where the Tesco is still open. Or just in old ****ing Germany.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
+1 to hitting F2. Shine a flashlight at the display, I bet you'll see a super dark, faint image. The MBP has an ability to completely turn off the backlight, as opposed to having a 'dimmest' setting. Sounds like what's going on here.

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Hi guys,

I think I pressed the power button while the MBP was on already and put it in sleep hence back light off? idk..

anyway I restarted the mac today and no cooling fan however don't know what else is lurking so will do the reset when I have a suitable tool for this,

Thankyou!

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
I thought it said physically remove and reinsert the battery?

----------

The page is helpful but not worded very well

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
But only on models where you can and should.

There are also instructions on the same site on how to do an SMC reset without removing the battery.

Oh ok my mistake!

Thankyou mate for ur help,

So I have done the SMC reset and nothing has changed the MBP is still operating the cooling fan all the time there is also a nasty buzz for .5 of a second on startup, phone support today and they wanted £35 a phone call! I don't want to send it in because I don't want a bad one back idk what to do with my mac! please help!

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Hold down D on boot, should load into the Apple Hardware Test: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Choose Extended Testing and start it. I got my first MBP back for the second time from a 3rd party Apple repairer and the fans on that were doing the same, were constantly on max rpms.

Ran the Apple Hardware Test which gave me a code, looked that up and it had detected the thermal sensor had gone in the logic board. If the SMC reset hasn't helped more likely to be a hardware fault.

Also as your Mac is under a year old, how come you were quoted £35 for the phone call? It's still under warranty and it doesn't cost that to phone them and do diagnostics.

Where did you buy it from?

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Hi mate I got it from the apple shop, call guy said it was only covered for phone tech support for 30 day or something?, also done an HVRAM reset and no change, I removed the screws on casing and one of the screw damaged so I will get a mac screw from ebay and send it in to apple :(

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hi mate I got it from the apple shop, call guy said it was only covered for phone tech support for 30 day or something?, also done an HVRAM reset and no change, I removed the screws on casing and one of the screw damaged so I will get a mac screw from ebay and send it in to apple :(

You normally get 90 days of telephone support with the standard warranty.
And you probably did a PRAM reset.
As for the screw, a cMBP is user serviceable, thus a damaged screw should not be a reason for Apple to not provide you help.

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Yeah I am past my 90 days phone support :(

Are you sure they won't mind if the screw is rounded off!? I thought the y might void my warranty!, I can get a new set on Ebay for 3.99..

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yeah I am past my 90 days phone support :(

Are you sure they won't mind if the screw is rounded off!? I thought the y might void my warranty!, I can get a new set on Ebay for 3.99..

Since RAM and HDD/SSD are user replaceable parts and do not void the warranty if being replaced, a rounded off screw shan't void the warranty either.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
+1 to above. It's a user serviceable machine. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act also provides some protection for warranties in these cases unless Apple can prove that whatever you did caused the failure.

However, I would recommend replacing the screws, if only because a rounded off screw is a bad thing to have! In the future, get the right tools. You need a 00 screwdriver for the bottom of the MBP, you may be able to get another screwdriver to work, but as you found, it can damage the screws! The tools are cheap. You can get 'kits' from companies like iFixIt that include all of the tools you need to work on a MBP.

Edit: Nevermind, from the content of your post it sounds like you aren't American, so the Magnuson-Moss warranty act won't apply to you, but there are likely similar Warranty laws wherever you hail from.

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Sweet dude I am going to replace em guys so that apple have no case against me, fact is the case has never even been opened and it has broken all by itself! not happy, not happy at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.