MBP died after 3 hours after installing new RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jap652, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jap652 macrumors newbie

Last night I installed 4GB RAM from Crucial. Once installed, it booted up fine and saw that it recognised the new 4 GB RAM. I ran some CPU intensive processes and really noticed the difference.

However, I then retired to bed listening to the an internet radio station from my MBP, and it went to hibernate mode. I tried to get out of it but it wouldn't so I had to power off. I then couldn't power up my MBP :-( My heart could have stopped!

The battery was flashing one green bar, so I resetted the Power Management for 5 seconds. This still didn't work so I put the original memory back in. I resetted the PM again but hold down the power button for 10 seconds. It worked! I managed to ressurect my MBP so it OK now with the original RAM.

Is there something wrong with the memory or did I just needed to hold down the power button for more than 5 seconds to reset the PM? I'm tempted to try and install it again.

Thanks,
    James.

2. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

what model# was your crucial ram?

3. jap652 thread starter macrumors newbie

CT2KIT25664AC667.000

CT541619

4. jap652 thread starter macrumors newbie

CT2KIT25664AC667.000

CT541619

My MBP is a 2.2 GHz Santa Rosa.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's highly unlikely the memory was the primary cause, as it worked and was recognized initially. Uusally, memory failure happens right away, and the machine either will not boot, or simply doesn't recognize the module.

Try installing the new memory one stick at a time and testing.

Make sure you firmly seat the contacts into the socket while the RAM module is up on the 45 degree angle, BEFORE laying it down to the horizontal position.

6. jap652 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey CanadaRAM, you are spot on with the diagnostic. I re-installed the Crucial RAM with your advice on seating it before laying it down and it worked. I'm using my 4GB MBP to type this

7. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

nice to hear it worked.
    as i am debating whither to get a new extended display or 4gb of ram

anything?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.