MBP dies when using flash on battery power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tronic, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Synopsis: MBP dies when watching flash on fully charged battery. New battery, install Lion or blame flash?

I've read up on this but I haven't found a solution yet. I have a '08 UMBP running SL. Battery health is 84% after ~190 cycles. When I try to watch any flash video, regardless of what site, my MBP will die after 10 or so mins of video. This happens even if I have a full charge (OSX says approx. 3 hours left) and the button on the side lights up all the status lights. Once it dies, if I hit the power button to turn it back on, its boots then dies 5 or so seconds later. If I plug it in, it boots up fine. If I let it sit unplugged , powered off for a while (not sure how long, but I know for sure an hour works) it will again allow me to boot from the battery. I've kinda noticed that if I let it sit for 5 secs, it will go 5 secs without dying, if I let it sit 30 secs it will go 30 secs without dying. OSX does occasionally tell me to "service battery" but I only thought that was because it has less life then it should for the cycles. Heat is not a problem since it still happens when fans are at max via SMC Fan Control. I'm about to fresh install lion so hopefully that might fix things, but if not should I just blame flash or get a new battery?

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Yeah, this does sound like something to do with the battery. What happens if instead of Flash you do something else that is CPU/GPU intensive?

Take it to Apple Store and have them diagnose the battery.