MBP - difference in hi-def screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac-convert, Apr 14, 2008.

1. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Hello all,

I am looking at getting the MacBook Pro 17" in a month or so (refurb probably) and I keep looking at the difference between the standard glossy and the high definition glossy screen. I'm not big on photo editing or video stuff. I do work on some web sites, but no graphics intensive type. I may delve into the world of photography again someday, but I have an iMac 24" 2.4 ALU for that work.

I digress - the question - is the hi-def screen really worth the extra $$'s? I don't have any place to go here to do an actual touch and feel and play with.

Additionally, but not to take the main question off track, is the hard drive easy enough to upgrade/replace?

Thanks

Edit: specifying the 17" model.

2. EricVT macrumors member

The LED is worth the extra money, the screen real estate is a nice bonus that comes with it :)

3. JSF macrumors member

JSF

I have the hi def glossy and the screen is amazing. It is worth it.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I would think that it should come down to either glossy standard resolution or matte high resolution. as the higher res should be for graphic intensive tasks, which need color accuracy so obviously you should go with matte. but if you don't do much graphics work then go with the standard glossy.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

from no personal experience i would definately say go for it! having a hi-def screen would be amazing. its basically like having your 24" in your mbp. (nothing suss).

and hhmm... the HD isnt easy, but it isnt hard, if you get what i mean. if your not afraid to unscrew some screws and a few other things and get adventurous then youd be sweet. (probably take some photos or write it down if your sceptical)

6. BigBadErik macrumors newbie

Hi-Def Screen

Ohhhhhmyyyyygoooosh the hi-def screen is awesome. Highly recommend it...compared to the total price of the machine, the upgrade is peanuts. I just watched a 1080p trailer on it, and it's like buttah.

--Erik

7. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I agree with tuffluffjimmy 100%. Matte screen for 17" high res.
    I've seen both and the gloss provides much less of a sense of delicacy and inner detail in images. At least, that's how I see it.

8. donmei macrumors regular

I went for the higher resolution for the extra 1/2hr of battery time the LED backlight gives me.

9. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I've had all the display types including the newest hires 17". It all depends on what you want. For graphics, I would say yes get it. But keep in mind that text is smaller and the hi-res will throw off your perception on how it will look on someone's else's monitor. So the hires is very nice, but it really depends on how intentions on what you want to do with it. As for cost, it's really a no-brainer, it's only $100, and if you want the higher res it should not be a barrier. If it is you really shouldn't be looking at the 17" anyways.

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

If the OP really wanted to see how something would look on another person's monitor, they could always set the resolution to match that of a non-Hi Res model. And the text could always be enlarged within the application (gotta love the new pinch squeeze!). As for the OP, I'm a bit biased (see sig) but I'd have to say go for the Hi Res! Always better to have the extra resolution if you need it rather than wish you'd bought it afterwards. And for $100, it's not that much of an added expense.

11. mac-convert thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. You have all given me something to consider. The price won't be the deciding factor. I think I need to make a search and find some to look at and make the decision then.

Cheers - have a great day!

12. tacoman667 macrumors regular

I just got my 17" Macbook Pro with the High-Res screen this past Monday. I absolutely LOVE it. All this real-estate and I haven't needed to maximize my apps yet. I come from a Windows background. I was MAC back in the days of the old Apple IIse playing Dark Castle and Crystal Quest. I wanted to get back on the Mac only because I want to make applications on my iPhone and need to run it on OS X. I got hooked. I bought this monster and so far I have not had ANY buyers remorse and this is NOT cheap, as you know. I love it, you will too.

Take the plunge!!!!

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get the high definition if it's BTO (or if you wants to pay for the full out model at the store). Personally I use the standard which I feels is easier on the eyes and also it was the configuration I wanted to pay for.