MBP: Digital Out - What Cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by haze, Sep 6, 2008.

1. haze macrumors regular

I was going to buy some Audio Engine A5s, but since I am getting a new LCD TV I also need to get a new home theater receiver with HDMI. So, I was thinking maybe I should use my old JVC home theater receiver and some bookshelf speakers/monitors instead of the A5s. If I were to do this what is the cable type that I need to buy from monoprice.com? Do you think this would be a better solution the A5s?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The only way you can get digital out through the MBP is through a toslink/optical cable (which you probably already knew).

So yeah..

You would also need a DVI to HDMI cable. I got both of mine (optical and HDMI) from Monoprice

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You will need a Toslink to Mini optical cable. The mini end goes into the MBP and the Toslink end into your receiver.

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Sorry to hijack the thread but what if you already have surround sound speakers? Not like a receiver. Normal computer speakers (5.1) Assuming that that it will only be possible if the speakers have the optical in port?

5. haze thread starter macrumors regular

I actually wasn't sure on the audio. I didn't know if the MBP and the receiver had the same end or not.

For second part, would this be a better option than something like the A5s? The receiver would take up a lot of space for a computer.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm actually not familiar with the A5s. I just use a set of z-5500's connected via optical from my MBP :p

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Here's what you need if your receiver has optical input. If not, just get stereo mini plug to RCA L&R.

Surround sound is not a simple term. Does your system have optical or analog input? If analog, how many inputs does it have? From a Mac, the best you can do is R&L, which can provide 5-channel Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound, but not 5.1 digital (i.e., Dolby Digital or DTS).

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox