MBP Dilemma... buy NOW or WAIT???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EmDizzle, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. EmDizzle macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #1
    Hi, everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

    I'm going to be purchasing a MacBook Pro soon. I've been saving for 6 months and going back and forth over which model to buy. I've finally settled on the 15-inch 2.2 GHz since I still need to buy Adobe CS3. My dilemma arises after reading of the possibility of an updated and/or new MBP in January.

    SO... do I buy NOW or WAIT another agonizing month-and-a-half only to see that the updates aren't as impressive as I'd hoped and that it's more expensive than I wanted. I would greatly appreciate some input.
     
  2. schreck macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Location:
    New England
    #2
    Like everyone has always said around here, if you need it then buy it, if you can wait-then wait. The update that will most likely occur in January really isn't going to be something huge. 5-10% performance increase is what I'd say.

    Really, people that have the Santa Rose MacBook Pros are more than happy with their machines, and if something's released in January, your machine isn't suddenly going to take in a dip in performance.

    So, if you really want it/need it now, get it. Otherwise, wait it out. (What I'm doing)
     
  3. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

    paul.b.davis

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    Location:
    Over the hills and far away...
    #3
    the real dilemma...

    people not using the search function
     
  4. macanudo macrumors regular

    macanudo

    Joined:
    May 9, 2006
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #4
    The last time the MBP's were updated was June 5th with new LED screens, an updated graphics card and new/faster processors. If there are any updates coming at macworld in January, it'd be adding the slim/ultraportable MBP to the lineup and possibly modest speed bumps to the MBP since it hasn't been updated since then. Use the buyer's guide on macrumors.
     
  5. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #5
    Worst case scenario - wait, pay the same price, get better specs. I've never seen the price go UP, only down or remain constant, while introducing better technology!
     
  6. EmDizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #6
    Thanks for the replies. I've been browsing other threads and it seems to me that many people are waiting for January. My thought was to either: 1) Buy the MBP on Black Friday online, but I'm not sure that the discounts will be all that great; 2) Buy a refurb 2.2 GHz MBP for $1,700 if the BF discounts don't meet expectations or 3) Throw a hissy fit sreaming, "IWANTITIWANTITIWANTITIWANTIT NOW!" and finally resign myself to waiting and hoping that they release new ultra-slim MBP with the lower-end version not priced more than the 2 grand I was planning on spending (but hoping to get a little cheaper).

    Looks like I'll be pouting until January!
     
  7. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #7
    Right on! Or purchase the outgoing model for a discount.

    Based on history, the PRO machines are not part of the BF mania. But you never know...

    Worst case, you wait and decided to get the current 2.2 on clearance or wait until the 2.2's refurb price drops (4-8 weeks after the new ones are announced).

    Me - I'm in the waiting camp as well. See you in January...
     

Share This Page