MBP direct competition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Allan in T.Dot, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

Hi all,

I am wondering if someone can list some of the direct competitors to the new rMBP with the 750m, 512 SSD, and 16 RAM. The OS doesn't make any difference to me, but I would like to know the competition with regards to specs. Thanks.

2. js09 macrumors member

Direct competition? None, because the MBR is in it's own category. It's prettier than all other laptops and it fits within peoples already existing ecosystem.

If you want more bang for your buck, higher specs, then pretty much any other laptop manufacturer (HP, dell, etc.) is better. Sorry to bust your bubble.

3. leman macrumors 604

It would be this Dell XPS 15. Its $300 less and has a higher-res display, but has a slightly slower CPU, no Chystalwell and no Thunderbolt. Otherwise the specs are pretty much the same. I haven't seen any reviews/benchmarks on the Dell yet, so its pretty much an unknown at this point.

4. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

I would say the closest is the Dell XPS 15 and the Razer Blade Pro.

5. rouss macrumors newbie

Maybe XPS 15. Even then it's sub par. No other alternatives come to mind.

6. leman macrumors 604

Nope, the new Dell is pretty much the only machine in the same category. Don't forget that size/weight/battery/industrial design are also part of the specs. Sure, you can get a faster gaming laptop for a bit less, but you will be sacrificing size/weight/battery.

BTW, I just tried to configure a 15" Sager gaming machine, a 770M/480Gb RAID 0 Intel SSD/slighty faster CPU then retina + internal HDD/ODD. It ended up being $2,424.00 - very close to Apple's price. No doubt, the Sager is much more powerful - but it also weights over 3kg and is over twice as thick.

7. js09 macrumors member

That's what I mean. With the apple you get something pretty, fairly lightweight, etc. And that's great for some. For others, power is king.. and the MBP is definitely not the best. Overall, I think it's got the best "mix" of features.. which is why I bought a maxed out 15".

8. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

Razer Blade Pro. It doesn't have a retina screen but it is just as sleek. It actually looks like a black MacBook copy other then keyboard.

9. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Dell Precision M3800 and it comes with 3 years warranty built in with next day in home service and an IGZO touch screen and the reviews have been pretty good so far