MBP disk drive problems (pics)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevzy, May 6, 2008.

1. kevzy macrumors member

Hey guys,

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I got my first ever Mac after the Feb update and am loving it so far. A few days after I got it I was installing some software and put a CD into the disk drive. There was this horrible crunching and cracking sound as the CD went in. However, the CD was read and worked fine, no scratches when it came out either.

I have since been using my MBP and the disk drive everyday with the annoying sound always there. The reason I didn't get it replaced initially was because (1) I really needed a computer to type my thesis. (2) I live in Ireland where we have no Apple stores and didn't want to be without a computer for as long as it took to replace/repair. (3) I will be moving to London after the Summer where they do have Apple stores and had planned to have it looked at then.

Everything was going fine until I took the MBP out of its case today. You can see from the pictures what has happened. It looks like the top of the disk drive is collapsing. I am soooooo overly protective of my MBP, when I'm not using it it's in its case. It hasn't been dropped.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should do. I need my MBP until the end of May for college and cannot be without it for one day. I am going away from June to September so my MBP will not be used at all. I will move to London in September. I am thinking That the best thing to do is wait until I get to London and bring it to an Apple store.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any replies.

Attached Files:

2. Heinekev macrumors member

This happened to mine as well. Apple replaced the chassis and drive for free, then did it again 3 months later, and now it's warped again. I'm small, but I guess I have ape-hand-wrist syndrome. :confused:

Clearly a flaw.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

it looks like the clip came apart, stick a cd half way into the drive (for support) and press down hard on the area that is sticking up, this will snap the clip back into place

4. RealaT macrumors regular

Just so you know, that crunching, cracking sound as you insert a disc is completely normal and all modern apple slot-loading drives do it

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

you cant see that the slot itself is bent down in the middle? Its not the clips. It looks like they put too much weight on the palm rests.

6. kevzy thread starter macrumors member

It's not that the top has popped up, the little bit of metal above the slot is actually sagging down. A CD won't fit in the slot unless it is really forced in.

The sound I hear when putting a CD in couldn't be normal, there's definitely something wrong with it.

Any suggestions, should I just wait until I'm in London. I can do without the disk drive 'til then.

Thanks.