MBP Disk not showing up during re-install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trouble1, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Trouble1 macrumors member

Late 2013 MBP 13" w/256 SSD.

System started freezing periodically. I could force quit, restart and usually no problem for a while, then again it happens.
    Last time it showed the File Folder with ?.

The procedure for Command-R restart allowed me to re-install to MBP disk. I did this procedure. At some point about signing into iCloud it failed. The next screen said "sorry an error occurred". The MBP disk never appeared again, so I could not re-install.

I managed to install a working copy of El Capitan onto an external HD and that is what I'm using now. Using this I can see my MBP internal disk in Disk Utility. I ran first aid and it appears fine.

The problem is it does not show up (select destination) when I try to re-install OS X from the internet recovery option and it does not show up when I try to restore the system from Time Machine. Only the drives in the USB port show up.

It shows up in Disk Utility in the recovery mode, but when I select on it, all the options except first aid are grayed out.

I hope this makes sense.

I can answer all questions, but I'm not a computer geek so don't throw a lot of technical terms at me.

What are my choices/options?

Can this be solved at my level?

Do I need to take it in to an authorized Service center?

I’m in Thailand and my MBP is out of warranty, so if I can do this myself better.

2. DavidDoyle, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

DavidDoyle macrumors member

I think you might get some useful information by using the terminal diskutil command.

From the recovery mode can you launch Terminal and enter the following command:

diskutil list

And post back the results?

On my MacBook Pro (2017) I see the following:

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme 1.0 TB disk0
    1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 1.0 TB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: APFS Container Scheme - +1.0 TB disk1
    Physical Store disk0s2
    1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 947.9 GB disk1s1
    2: APFS Volume Preboot 75.8 MB disk1s2
    3: APFS Volume Recovery 1.5 GB disk1s3
    4: APFS Volume VM 4.3 GB disk1s4

3. Trouble1, Apr 24, 2018

Trouble1 thread starter macrumors member

Had a hard time getting this info here. Could not cut and paste
    hope it shows up
    Hope it helps you help me :)
    Heres a picture of the window where the internal drive normally shows up. It's not there so I can't select it to do anything.
    I included a screen shot from the disk utility when using the external drive. You can see the internal drive is there.

Attached Files:

4. BLUEDOG314 macrumors regular

BLUEDOG314

I would recover any information while you can because this seems like a nuke and pave scenario to me.

5. Trouble1 thread starter macrumors member

That’s helpful.

The internal disk shows up, erased/formatted, downloaded El Capitan, installation starts, gets about 20% with 19 min remaining and freezes.

Any insight into this or what I can do?

Time machine restore doesn’t work, something about a file. Reinstalling isn’t working, freezes up.

6. DavidDoyle macrumors member

OK so you should be able to use the diskutil command to erase the drive ready for partitioning etc.

do man diskutil

Would need to work out the commands, but I think the below erases the entiredisk and creates a new volume called 'Test'. My hope is that you can then create a volume that is visible and usable.

diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ Test /dev/disk0

7. Trouble1 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, David thanks.
    I was able to get one of the startup commands to get me to disk utility and erase/first aid the drive.
    I put a copy of ElCap on ED and then loaded onto the internal. It ended up going right back to the blinking folder with ?, but at least it allowed me to go through the internet recover function.
    As of right now, I have a working copy.
    I'll post more as it develops.

8. DavidDoyle macrumors member

Ok that is good news.

To me - the problem seemed to be that Disk Utility wasn't seeing the drive correctly to be able to make it usable. Using the Terminal commands does the same actions but at a low level.

If you're able to load a copy of the OS onto it then I don't think there's anything wrong with the drive.

9. Trouble1, Apr 24, 2018

Trouble1 thread starter macrumors member

During this "process" of research I came across several times where people wrote: It is necessary for every Mac user to prepare a USB Flash drive. With such removal drive you can create and install a bootable OS X installer drive and then to fix a mac not working in recovery mode issue.
    What does this even mean? Where can I find a good, well explained site/page about this, how to make one and how to use it?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 24, 2018 ---
    Yes, good... I'm still holding my breath...and I still don't know how or why this all started. It was freezing up on me periodically for about a week or so... then on one restart it went to the blinking folder with the ?.

So, for future use.
    I would enter the Terminal Command: do man diskutil
    What does this do?
    Is this the only command to enter and it would have allowed me to do the internet recovery?
    I have no experience with Terminal, so this would help me a lot... and maybe others researching this problem.
    Thanks,

10. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "What does this even mean? Where can I find a good, well explained site/page about this, how to make one and how to use it?"

IMPORTANT:
    You need a working Mac on which to create the flashdrive installer. Do this:

1. Download the El Cap installer, have it in your applications folder
    2. Get a USB flash drive, 8gb or 16gb
    3. Download either "DiskMaker X" or "Boot Buddy". Both are free. I'm not sure if Boot Buddy will work with El Cap, that's why I've also listed DiskMaker. There is a version of DM that works with El Cap.
    4. Use DiskMaker or Boot Buddy to create a bootable flashdrive version of the installer.
    5. Power down the Mac, all the way off.
    6. REboot and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears.
    7. Select the flashdrive installer and boot from it.
    8. It will open to the installer, but DON'T run it yet.
    9. Quit the installer and open Disk Utility
    10. Use DU to ERASE the internal drive. NUKE IT BACK TO ZERO. Format it for Mac OS extended with journaling enabled.
    11. Now quit DU and open the OS installer.
    12. Choose the internal drive and let the OS installer do its thing. This may involve one or more reboots and take some time.
    13. When the installer is done, you will see the initial setup screen. Begin setup and restore your data if you have a backup.

11. Trouble1 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks.

I have a working Mac now. So this procedure is what I need to do to make this?

Interesting, I see I have a copy of Install MacOS High Sierra in the applications folder. I am now DL El Capitan. It's 6.12GB, so the 8GB flash drive will be ok.
    Then I'll DL both Boot Buddy and Disk Maker X. I am not sure how to make a bootable flash drive using either of these, I'm sure I can find directions
    From 6. on I'm assuming you're describing what to do when restoring, NOT what I should do now as I have seemed to fix this problem.

By the way. I am back to a completely fresh computer. No apps, no massive amount of files and crap. Most of my iCloud settings are there, keychain, safari bookmarks, email, etc... but not much else. I'm being very selective as to which apps I put back on. I'll spend the better part of the day with settings, but it's refreshing and I'm (re)learning about a lot of things related to the OS and Apple Apps.
    It's refreshing to start over.
    Tomorrow I'll attempt to pull the necessary and important files from my various copies of Time Machine. I hope it works, I have read stories about TM not being or doing what it's suppose to...save your info and files.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I am not sure how to make a bootable flash drive using either of these, I'm sure I can find directions "

I just gave you directions in reply 10 above.
    Why don't you try them?

13. Trouble1 thread starter macrumors member

That's helpful.