Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Something that's been bugging me for a while now, but why when I switch MBP the brightness has gone down to 1 square, the first setting.

It's no big deal but I'm curious as to why it's doing this now after nearly 5 years. 'Slightly dim display when not on power source' was unticked years ago, so not relevant to that, but even then it never went that low.

It's typically set at the 5th square, but after restart it opens on 1.

Anyone have any idea. I've had the MBP since early 2011, 10.6.8. SL, and it's only just started doing this in the last couple of months.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Something that's been bugging me for a while now, but why when I switch MBP the brightness has gone down to 1 square, the first setting.

It's no big deal but I'm curious as to why it's doing this now after nearly 5 years. 'Slightly dim display when not on power source' was unticked years ago, so not relevant to that, but even then it never went that low.

It's typically set at the 5th square, but after restart it opens on 1.

Anyone have any idea. I've had the MBP since early 2011, 10.6.8. SL, and it's only just started doing this in the last couple of months.

Try resetting the SMC (System Management Controller). Refer to the following Apple KB article to learn how.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks. Does this alter anything it shouldn't when you reset it. Doesn't go to factory for other settings does it?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
thank you, they tend to make you feel nervy in that article, by saying 'only do if totally necessary' etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.