MBP display completely blank. MBP still works

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seabala, Jun 30, 2008.

1. seabala macrumors newbie

Hi all, My Macbook Pro's display is not working at all for some reason from yesterday. I usually use an external display with my MBP through the DVI port. Yesterday I turned on the MBP with the external display still connected. I hear the chime and the hard disk whirring but nothing on the display. I could see it has booted up properly coz the volume control and the CD drive still seems to work.

Symptoms:
    1. The Apple logo on the back is NOT lit.
    2. The sleep light (which pulsates when the MBP is asleep) is constantly on.
    3. The Keyboard backlight is constantly on even on a bright room.

Things I tried from other threads:

1. Force shut down and restart.
    2. SMU and PRAM reset as per Apple's support page.

None of the above two worked. Other solutions I read were Archive and reinstalling but for that I need the display. This seems like a different problem than the "Not waking up after sleep" problem. Thats why I started a new thread. Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Did you try it without the external Display connected? Does the MBP screen light up without the external display connected?

Try the SMC and PRAM reset without the external display connected.

When you have the external display connected, are you using the external power adapter? The external display will not work without it.

Report back.

3. seabala thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did try all the steps without the external display connected. Still to no avail. Usually I boot up my MBP with the external display conncted, but after this problem started, i disconnected the external display and did the troubleshootin steps.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

It sounds like you have a problem with the video circuitry. You need to call Apple as this is a hardware problem.